rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I have had a very stable DSL connection from my local ISP for 3 years. Recently I've started having a very unusual problem. Every 20 or so minutes (it's not on an entirely consistent interval) I will drop 7 pings in a row to the internet. This is very annoying (to say the least) and is usually enough to get me kicked from TF2 or have Netflix show me the dreaded red screen. I have eliminated my Linksys router from the mix and the problem persists. I have experienced this problem on several different PCs connected directly to the DSL modem however at no time does the DSL light indicate a problem back to the DSLAM. Just for testing purposes I leave one ping going to www.yahoo.com and another ping going to 192.168.1.1 (the internal IP of the router) The 7 dropped pings only occur going out to the internet, but at no point do I lose local connectivity to my DSL modem's Ethernet port. There is only one phone jack in my residence and no phones are connected to it. I have experienced this problem with and without the DSL filter given to me by my ISP.

I have requested a new DSL modem from my ISP, but I just wanted to ask the community if there was anything obvious I was overlooking. I really feel like I have tested everything that can be tested.

TRENDING THREADS