Digital Camera that assigns drive letter?

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 26, 2005 3:15:24 PM

I'm trying to locate a digital camera that can be seen as a drive
letter under Windows XP. We have several Canons, but they apparently
don't work this way. Is there any way to assign a drive letter to a
Canon camera under Windows XP?

If not, I'd like to find out which brands write their WIA drivers to
support showing a drive letter.

Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 4:56:16 PM

BrianD wrote:
> I'm trying to locate a digital camera that can be seen as a drive
> letter under Windows XP. We have several Canons, but they apparently
> don't work this way. Is there any way to assign a drive letter to a
> Canon camera under Windows XP?
>
> If not, I'd like to find out which brands write their WIA drivers to
> support showing a drive letter.
>
> Thanks in advance!

The 20D will kind of sort of look like it is showing up as a drive
letter, but it will not show all files on the memory card. You can see
the folders and you can see the jpg files but for some reason the raw
files are not visible. Canon is the only comany that I know that
messes this up. Most of us that own a Canon us an external card reader
to get around this.

Scott
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 5:15:11 PM

Thanks Scott!

Let me elaborate a bit on what I'm trying to do. We're writing a
program which is used for a user to take a picture and have it
automatically imported into the database. The user will have an item
selected and click "Take Picture" at which point we begin watching a
folder and its subfolders for a jpg to be created. The user takes the
picture with the camera and we detect a new file is created and move it
to the appropriate place.

We can watch a normal folder like c:\images just fine, and I presume we
could watch a digital camera folder was well. Does the 20D actually
assign a drive letter you can access by going to e:\ or whatever?

We considered using the external card reader, but then the user would
have to take it out and put it back in after every shot.....which won't
really work for this environment.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions!
April 26, 2005 7:52:51 PM

BrianD wrote:

> Thanks Scott!
>
> Let me elaborate a bit on what I'm trying to do. We're writing a
> program which is used for a user to take a picture and have it
> automatically imported into the database. The user will have an item
> selected and click "Take Picture" at which point we begin watching a
> folder and its subfolders for a jpg to be created. The user takes the
> picture with the camera and we detect a new file is created and move it
> to the appropriate place.
>
> We can watch a normal folder like c:\images just fine, and I presume we
> could watch a digital camera folder was well. Does the 20D actually
> assign a drive letter you can access by going to e:\ or whatever?

You can do this.. (If I understand you correctly :)

Just load Canon's remote capture software.. (It comes on the CD with
the 20D.

When you take a shot, the JPEG will automatically be sent to the
computer's hard drive and will appear in whatever directory you select.

Once it's on your computer's hard drive you can do anything you
want with it.

If you put the camera on a tripod, you can even trip the shutter
from the computer.. No need to even touch the camera.
April 27, 2005 12:30:10 AM

On 26 Apr 2005 11:15:24 -0700, "BrianD" <brian.dearth@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I'm trying to locate a digital camera that can be seen as a drive
>letter under Windows XP. We have several Canons, but they apparently
>don't work this way. Is there any way to assign a drive letter to a
>Canon camera under Windows XP?
>
>If not, I'd like to find out which brands write their WIA drivers to
>support showing a drive letter.
>
>Thanks in advance!

My Minolta A200 shows up as a driver letter, as does my Epson (but
thats discontinued long ago).

I don't guarantee other KM or Epsons models do the same but in my
models they do...

Gavin
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 12:31:58 AM

"Scott W" <biphoto@hotmail.com> wrote in

> BrianD wrote:
>> I'm trying to locate a digital camera that can be seen as a
drive
>> letter under Windows XP. We have several Canons, but they
>> apparently don't work this way. Is there any way to assign a
>> drive letter to a Canon camera under Windows XP?
>>
>> If not, I'd like to find out which brands write their WIA
drivers
>> to support showing a drive letter.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>
> The 20D will kind of sort of look like it is showing up as a
drive
> letter, but it will not show all files on the memory card. You
> can see the folders and you can see the jpg files but for some
> reason the raw files are not visible. Canon is the only comany
> that I know that messes this up. Most of us that own a Canon us
> an external card reader to get around this.

Astrapix 610 cheap point & shoot.
must install driver.
when camera is plugged in new drive appears.
May be best to use a dual pane file manager of your favorite
version. Win 98 does not show this drive in "my computer" when it
is
present. Maybe you will find the same?
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:09:55 AM

BrianD wrote:
> I'm trying to locate a digital camera that can be seen as a drive
> letter under Windows XP. We have several Canons, but they apparently
> don't work this way. Is there any way to assign a drive letter to a
> Canon camera under Windows XP?
>
> If not, I'd like to find out which brands write their WIA drivers to
> support showing a drive letter.
>
> Thanks in advance!

My Kodak DX6440 appears as a drive letter, but I don't know if that is
because of the Kodak software, or if WinXP recognizes it 'natively'. In
any case, the flash card, AND the internal memory are both addressable.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
April 27, 2005 3:12:19 AM

"Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
> If you put the camera on a tripod, you can even trip the shutter
> from the computer.. No need to even touch the camera.

Damn .. you mean I have to lug this hulking great beast around with my 20D
now ? ;o)
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:52:02 AM

BrianD wrote:

> I'm trying to locate a digital camera that can be seen as a drive
> letter under Windows XP. We have several Canons, but they apparently
> don't work this way. Is there any way to assign a drive letter to a
> Canon camera under Windows XP?
>
> If not, I'd like to find out which brands write their WIA drivers to
> support showing a drive letter.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Minolta Dimage S414 shows up as a drive letter under XP.
April 27, 2005 7:45:08 AM

In article <5t6dnZJdq7JcIfPfRVnyjw@giganews.com>, Gizmo <Gizmo@home.now> wrote:

>"Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
>> If you put the camera on a tripod, you can even trip the shutter
>> from the computer.. No need to even touch the camera.
>
>Damn .. you mean I have to lug this hulking great beast around with my 20D
>now ? ;o)

It certainly is an attractive alternative to the $450 remote timer
control. I desire something like an HP iPaq program to use as a cable
release/timer/remote control.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 7:38:56 PM

Winxp doesn't seem to assign a drive letter to Canon cameras. It shows a
folder under 'My Computer' named Canon something or other. Within that
folder it shows the .jpg's and an empty folder called 'misc'. This is not
what you would see using a card reader. I think the op would have trouble
doing what he wants without special software. In addition, on my machine a
window dialog pops up when I connect the camera offering view options. It
maybe that dialog can be suppressed.
Dave Cohen

> BrianD wrote:
>> I'm trying to locate a digital camera that can be seen as a drive
>> letter under Windows XP. We have several Canons, but they apparently
>> don't work this way. Is there any way to assign a drive letter to a
>> Canon camera under Windows XP?
>>
>> If not, I'd like to find out which brands write their WIA drivers to
>> support showing a drive letter.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
> My Kodak DX6440 appears as a drive letter, but I don't know if that is
> because of the Kodak software, or if WinXP recognizes it 'natively'. In
> any case, the flash card, AND the internal memory are both addressable.
>

> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
April 28, 2005 1:36:15 PM

"BrianD" <brian.dearth@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to locate a digital camera that can be seen as a drive
>letter under Windows XP. We have several Canons, but they apparently
>don't work this way. Is there any way to assign a drive letter to a
>Canon camera under Windows XP?
>
>If not, I'd like to find out which brands write their WIA drivers to
>support showing a drive letter.

My sony dsc-V3 and dsc-P32 show up as a drive letter on XP, ME, and
W2K.

Since I have dialup at home and my workplace is a internetworking
center for a fortune 500, I download ISO images and other large files
at lunch to my camera to bring home.

Wes