Sign in with
Your question

Hybrid fan mode problem

Last response: in Components
February 25, 2012 12:14:26 PM

SYSTEM SPECS

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K at 3.30 GHz
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 EVO
Memory: Corsair Vengeance™ — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9)
Graphics: ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5
SSD: Samsung 830 128GB SATA III
Hard Drive 1: Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III
Hard Drive 2: Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III
PSU: XFX ProSeries ProSeries 1000W Platinum
Monitor: LG W2753VC-PF

OVERCLOCKING

CPU: NONE
Memory: NONE
GPU: GPU clock at 884 Mhz, Memory clock at 2100 Mhz, Core Voltage at 1.037v

DETAILS

So my PSU has hybrid fan mode which according to XFX's site the fan will be off until it reaches 20% load or 25 Celcius.

I got the power supply yesterday and I wanted to make sure that hybrid fan mode is actually working so while the computer was idling the fan was off which was correct, then I run prime95 to max my CPU and simultaneously run FurMark to max my GPU which I believed would reach more than 20% load on the PSU and the fan would start spining but that didn't happen.

Also I was constantly checking how hot the psu was and it was a bit hot but it turned out it was hot just because the GPU fan was aiming towards the top of my psu.

I found that out by taking my psu almost out of my case (enough so the GPU fan won't heat it) and run the tests again and the psu was at reasonable temperatures (at least as far as my hand touching the PSU's case can tell).

So my question is: Is there a posibillity the Hybrid mode keeps the fan off the whole time (which means faulty hybrid fan mode) or could my system probably not pull 20% off of the psu under full stress?

I know I can buy one of those wattage plug measures (where it shows how many watt the plug pulls) but for now can you tell me if it's even possible not to pull 20%?

Bare in mind that when I switch to normal fan mode the fan works completely normal.

Thanks in advance!!!
a b ) Power supply
February 25, 2012 12:48:56 PM

Talk to XFX support, they will clarify how it is supposed to work.
February 25, 2012 1:06:48 PM

Yeah I will but I wanted to get some opinions first if it's possible to not pull 20% load or getting over 25 C at full load
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 25, 2012 11:43:33 PM

I would not be surprised if it is working well. My i7 2600K @ 4.4 and 5870 playing SWTOR pulls just over 250 watts from the wall(that game is gpu intense but not cpu intense).

25c would be the only thing that would make me wonder, but if any air is managing to move through the power supply from the case, it may just be enough.

I maxed out at 300 watts with Prime + a game on my system(you may need to take 1 thread off of prime to feed furmarks so it can work the card harder).
a c 248 ) Power supply
February 25, 2012 11:50:39 PM

A close look at the box shots show they claim its 30% load +/- 5% so you could pull up to 350 W from it before the fan kicks in, it is possible you aren't up to that load level with that system.

Since you aren't OCing or using the onboard IGP your 2500k is likely only pulling up to about 85 W even with turbo boost, your 460 is pulling up to about 160 W, the rest of the system probably bring you up to about 320 W from the unit. The guru 3d GTX 460 review shows a GTX 460 system pulling only up to 325 W from the wall so it is quite possible you aren't at the threshold to trigger the fan to start spinning.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/13
February 26, 2012 8:58:42 AM

nukemaster said:
I would not be surprised if it is working well. My i7 2600K @ 4.4 and 5870 playing SWTOR pulls just over 250 watts from the wall(that game is gpu intense but not cpu intense).

25c would be the only thing that would make me wonder, but if any air is managing to move through the power supply from the case, it may just be enough.

I maxed out at 300 watts with Prime + a game on my system(you may need to take 1 thread off of prime to feed furmarks so it can work the card harder).

The power supply actually remains lukewarm when I didn't have the GPU fan heating it up (having it outside my case) so I believe it is doing well on temperatures but I'm counting on that if it overheats the computer will shut down so I will know it overheated.

hunter315 said:
A close look at the box shots show they claim its 30% load +/- 5% so you could pull up to 350 W from it before the fan kicks in, it is possible you aren't up to that load level with that system.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules/NDReviews/images/XFXXPS1000WBEL/DSCF4099.JPG

Since you aren't OCing or using the onboard IGP your 2500k is likely only pulling up to about 85 W even with turbo boost, your 460 is pulling up to about 160 W, the rest of the system probably bring you up to about 320 W from the unit. The guru 3d GTX 460 review shows a GTX 460 system pulling only up to 325 W from the wall so it is quite possible you aren't at the threshold to trigger the fan to start spinning.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/13

Yes you are totally right about the box suprisingly though the manual and the site say 25% but I guess it could be a typo because as far as I know this power supply has exactly the same components as the Seasonic one, and the Seasonic one has hybrid fan mode too which activates after 30% usage so according everything you say I believe it is totally possible to not draw that much power.
!