Sign in with
Your question

Help, something unknown is eating over 4GB ram!

Last response: in Memory
December 31, 2012 8:56:10 PM

An hour or so ago I noticed that my computer all of a sudden started running incredibly slow so I went into task manager to see what the hell was going on. I see then that I'm at 99% RAM usage. The weird part is that all of my combined running programs do not even add up to 2Gb. There's of course the operative system, but Windows 7 does not use anything even remotely close to 4Gb. I close everything down to see what happens and for some reason I'm still at 99%, even though I just shut down around 2Gb or RAM used. I restart my computer to see if that helps but no, as soon as everything loads I'm back up at 99%, with nothing but startup programs running! This happened suddenly while I was watching a movie so I have done no changes to software or hardware. My computer still recognizes all 6Gb of RAM and everything is exactly the same.

So, what the f*ck is using up all of my 6Gb of RAM? Whatever it is it does not show up in task manager. I have also done a complete scan using ESET Smart Security and everything is as it should be.

Please advice!

More about : unknown eating 4gb ram

December 31, 2012 9:16:01 PM

do you have bf3 cos i have noticed that sometimes the origin program in the background sucks a heap of resources when your not even using it or playing the game if you have it close down origin in your taskbar
December 31, 2012 9:23:17 PM

jasont78 said:
do you have bf3 cos i have noticed that sometimes the origin program in the background sucks a heap of resources when your not even using it or playing the game if you have it close down origin in your taskbar

Nope I do not have bf3 installed.
Related resources
December 31, 2012 9:27:05 PM

try doing a scan with malwarebytes anti-malware.
December 31, 2012 9:42:22 PM

str8cuse said:
try doing a scan with malwarebytes anti-malware.

I have, scan was clear.
December 31, 2012 9:49:13 PM

try booting into safe mode to see if you get the same results.
December 31, 2012 10:40:46 PM

str8cuse said:
try booting into safe mode to see if you get the same results.

I just tried and no issues in safe mode. Issues are back when I boot normally though. I can't do anything normal with this computer, it thinks and moves like f*cking syrup.
December 31, 2012 10:57:13 PM

try running msconfig and disabling the non essential start up processes
January 1, 2013 6:24:48 AM

str8cuse said:
try running msconfig and disabling the non essential start up processes

I do that every once in a while and I actually cleaned that list a few days ago.
!