Solved

PCIE 3.0 slot issues

hello! so today my PCIE 3.0 slot for my gpu stopped working today. It turned out to be fine because my motherboard also has a pcie 2.0 slot available, i just switched my 7870 over there. I know that today no cards take full advantage of the PCIE 3.0 but my question is: is there any evidence that any cards in the near future will be able to?i plan to upgrade my card in a year or so and it would be nice to know if ill need to purchase a new motherboard as well to accommodate the new card.

Thanks,
Jacob
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about pcie slot issues
  1. If it is broken RMA the board all major manufacturers have 3 year warranty. Maybe the 2.0 slot is the next one that dies.
  2. I figured it out! It was a bios issue, now everything is running great.
  3. That is great news but can you tell us what happened in BIOS?
  4. Best answer
    Most likely has an option for what slot to boot from :)

On the topic of cards using it. Cards get faster with every release and sometimes you get dual gpu on one card setups(so having extra bandwidth is great for those crossfire/sli on a card setups). For sure you will be able to put that pci-e 3.0 slot to use in the next 2-3 years if not sooner.

Today's main stream cards are getting nearly as fast as 2-3 generations back high end cards, so even those will get the advantage with time.
  5. rolli59 said:
    That is great news but can you tell us what happened in BIOS?

All it needed was the proper update, and boom! Problem solved.
  6. Best answer selected by Jacobtmaas.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards GPUs