Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PCIE 3.0 slot issues

Last response: in Motherboards
December 31, 2012 9:36:44 PM

hello! so today my PCIE 3.0 slot for my gpu stopped working today. It turned out to be fine because my motherboard also has a pcie 2.0 slot available, i just switched my 7870 over there. I know that today no cards take full advantage of the PCIE 3.0 but my question is: is there any evidence that any cards in the near future will be able to?i plan to upgrade my card in a year or so and it would be nice to know if ill need to purchase a new motherboard as well to accommodate the new card.

Thanks,
Jacob

More about : pcie slot issues

a c 1112 V Motherboard
January 1, 2013 12:06:51 AM

If it is broken RMA the board all major manufacturers have 3 year warranty. Maybe the 2.0 slot is the next one that dies.
m
l
January 1, 2013 3:19:57 AM

I figured it out! It was a bios issue, now everything is running great.
m
l
Related resources
a c 1112 V Motherboard
January 1, 2013 3:35:11 AM

That is great news but can you tell us what happened in BIOS?
m
l

Best solution

a c 120 V Motherboard
January 1, 2013 3:46:45 AM

Most likely has an option for what slot to boot from :) 

On the topic of cards using it. Cards get faster with every release and sometimes you get dual gpu on one card setups(so having extra bandwidth is great for those crossfire/sli on a card setups). For sure you will be able to put that pci-e 3.0 slot to use in the next 2-3 years if not sooner.

Today's main stream cards are getting nearly as fast as 2-3 generations back high end cards, so even those will get the advantage with time.
January 1, 2013 6:51:40 AM

rolli59 said:
That is great news but can you tell us what happened in BIOS?

All it needed was the proper update, and boom! Problem solved.
m
l
January 8, 2013 12:49:59 AM

Best answer selected by Jacobtmaas.
m
l
!