Question about CPU heatsinks

Ok, normally when you have a heatsink with only one fan you mount the fan on the right side of the heatsink, and have an exhaust case fan on the back of the case. When you have a Push-Pull system you put an extra fan on the back of the CPU heatsink, so that it does what the name implies. What I was wondering is, what if you took the single fan setup and rotated the whole heatsink and fan assembly 180 degrees? How would this effect the cooling?

Edit: since the fan on the heatsink is blowing towards the case fan that is sucking, wouldn't it act similar to a push pull, except with out the aid of one extra fan?
5 answers Last reply
More about question heatsinks
  1. yes you are correct it would work like a Push-Pull config
  2. If you pointed the Hs fan towards the front of the case it would totally mess up the flow, leaving you dazed and confused as to why your temperatures were worse,
    if you have the single fan as described in your edit, yes its like pushpull, but having the fan attached to the Hs directly, improves the effect of the fan
    Moto
  3. I wonder why the directions always tell you to do:

<--exhaust fan |heatsink| <---heatsink fan

instead of what I have mentioned, if my way works better?
    <--exhaust fan <--Heatsinkfan |heatsink|
  4. oh well, I get 20C idle I can't complain
  5. zepfan_75 said:
    I wonder why the directions always tell you to do:

<--exhaust fan |heatsink| <---heatsink fan

instead of what I have mentioned, if my way works better?
    <--exhaust fan <--Heatsinkfan |heatsink|

This is ok too.

When you pull, you suck in some of the air from the sides of the heat sink. With push all of the air comes in from the fan intake and straight through the cooler.
    It is not a big enough difference to worry about, and may well be the arrangement of choice if you have tall heat spreaders that need to be cleared.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cases Heatsinks Fan Components