New power supply will not turn on

Cyberg51

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
:( I purchased a new raidmax 450 power supply for my computer and it will not start up. No fan or lights-nothing. I can jump the 2 pins for the off/on and fans turn and it seems fine but when installed I get no response at all. The old 300 watt when put back in runs fine but cannot power all the devices. I have checked all connections and output with vom and the supply is good.
The mobo is a PM800 M2 with 2.4gig hrz pentium 4. Running cd/rw dvd/rw 2 hard drives 4 fans and the ATI 2400hd video card. Any suggestions? I cannot locate any issues with the new supply and all conections triple checked. This is a warranty replacement for the first raidmax I received and at this point I believe the first one was fine also.

So the paper clip test works but it cannot power up the system?

Sounds like a good old POS raidmax. Return it for a refund if you can and move up to a good power supply. There is only 1 450 W raidmax, its old and crappy, and was crappy when it was new.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152032

I would really suggest moving up to a decent modern unit, something like the Corsair 430 CX V2 can actually deliver more useful power than that "450 W" raidmax.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&Tpk=430%20cx

The "old 300 watt" isn't running fine if it can't power those specs.

Cyberg51

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
The issue is the connectors available on the new power supplies also. This is an older computer and to be quite honest I don't have the scratch to get something new. Finding sometyhing with at least 5 molex connectors as well sata and the correct P4 connectors has been an issue. This computer is not pci-e and other than "junkin" old machines at the salvation army, I cannot locate anything with the correct connections (or enough connections) The 300 watt is limited for connectors and did not respond well to multiple jumpers.