Will my XFX RMA return in peices?

BradS

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Hey everyone, I recently RMA'd my XFX 5850 and it was deemed as a faulty card. Last Wednesday, XFX sent out a replacement (I have no idea what it will be...hopefully a new 6870? :) ) and it is still in the mail. They are using Fedex and the method of shipping is FedEx SmartPost. Now, I have been researching and I don't do very much shipping with FedEx at all, but it seems like SmartPost is a nightmare to deal with and should never be chosen for shipping unless you want a damaged package. I guess the point of this post is whether or not I should be worrying about my package arriving in damaged condition. I believe that XFX requires a signature upon delivery so if the package looks mangled, I will probably have the delivery person wait while I open it up and check it out. Not sure if you can "refuse delivery" after signing for the package.

Here's a link I found with tons of complaints about the service over several years:
http://mindfulmusings.net/weblog/2006/10/17/fedex-smartpost-what-a-terrible-service/

The bad thing about SmartPost is that the package switches hands multiple times between FedEx and USPS. This leaves more room for abuse of the package and we all know that these companies just throw the packages around without any consideration of the end receiver of the package (at least half the time anyways). I may be worrying for nothing but I just wanted to see what all of you guys think about this. Anyone out there receive an RMA from XFX via this shipping method? The package is coming from California to North Carolina. It's currently about 1 hour away from my home in terms of driving distance. Also, here's the strange abomination of tracking that FedEx uses for this shipment method:

Sep 27, 2011 4:16 PM
Arrived at FedEx location
FEDEX SMARTPOST CHARLOTTE, NC

Sep 26, 2011 4:27 PM
CHARLOTTE, NC

Sep 21, 2011 7:57 PM
BLOOMINGTON, CA

Sep 21, 2011 8:41 PM
Shipment information sent to FedEx

Note that I used USPS priority mail to ship my faulty card to them on a Friday afternoon and they received it that Monday...across country. Hopefully I at least get this by Friday or I guess I'll have to wait until next week? :p

A post from 2006 about Fedex smart post isnt an accurate representation of the service today. I have never had any trouble with recieving damaged packages through Fedex or UPS. They will have packed the card well and have insurance on it because they dont want to have to send you another card. Shipping it in a way where it gets damaged costs them wayyyy more than using better shipping.

Not sure why your fedex tracking looks like it spent 5 days sitting doing nothing, never seen that before but it should arrive safely soon.

BradS

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010

Well there were posts on that page for every year, even 2011. But yeah, I guess I'm worrying for nothing. Just some of the things I'm reading on that page about packages showing delivered without actually being received and whatnot. I'm sure the signature confirmation will fix that though. :p