Shorted DC power jack outputs to system board

dwcrabtree

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
Hello, I have a Dell Latitude D610 laptop that developed a dead short across the output of the DC power jack, The power jack output pins had gotten very loose and shorted out against the microprocessor thermal-cooling assembly to the point it arced out onto the thermal-cooling assembly. Could this cause damage to the laptop to where it won't power up at all? Its dead, fans don't turn, lights come on for a few seconds then shuts off completely. I replaced the DC power jack and this is the condition it is in now.

Solution

Hi :)

Yes :(

All the best Brett :)

dwcrabtree

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
Yeah, it was shorted like that before I ever took possession of it. You could plug the power adapter into the back of the unit and the AC adapter would shut down. Unplug the adapter from the laptop and AC wall jack, I checked the output of the AC adapter and it was back to it's correct voltage level.

The DC power jack was very loose so I took it apart to replace the DC jack and saw how the pins were shorting out against the CPU thermal-cooling unit. The arcing from the short actually left a pit on the metal surface of the cooling unit.

So even though the short on the system board caused the AC power adapter to shut down its output voltage, could the system board still be damaged?

Hi :)

Yes :(

All the best Brett :)

Solution