Show i buy FX-8120 or FX-8150?

Status
Not open for further replies.

momilwk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Hey guys well i just have question should i get FX-8120 or FX-8150 cause it seems to me that FX-8150 is a improve from the 8120 not like phenom 1090t with 1100 but im really confused. so i would be glad if you can answer my question.

Thank you guys.

Solution
Difference between FX 8120 and FX 8150 is the same as the difference between Phenom II X6 1090T and 1100T, it's just a different multiplier out of factory to give it a different clock speed, and both will overclock about the same.

Personally I would get the 8120, but I have access to microcenter and can get it with a free motherboard, makes the price difference a good $140 between the 2 for me.

If for gaming I'd also go Intel instead, the FX 8xxx isn't any better than the FX 4xxx for gaming, it's only in a variety of applications that can use 8 threads that the FX 8xxx is even worth considering.

The 8150 an improvement over a 8120..ah no. They are both Bulldozers and they both are pretty bad performers.

Spoony

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007

listern here sunshine, unless you have used the bulldozer CPU's dont comment on them at all. i have 5 pc's in my house 3 AMD and 2 Intel i have abulldozer CPU and its not that bad at all, its excellent for gaming but for other hardcore stuff its not good, so if your using it for gaming then its a great piece of kit if not get a AMD 1090T save the money and leave it at that.

oh and before you start giving me a flaming read my comment in the signiture it will show i us INTEL and not AMD as my gaming choice for my pc.

depends on cost and what you need it for. but in all gaming its very good. dont listern to the fan boys of intel and haters against AMD, they know nothing and only ready the reviews and they mean nothing i can asure you, since my FX-8150 runs faster in games than whats said on toms or anywhere else even at stock speeds.

Pff absoloutly clueless... :pfff: :pfff: . Here's an idea how about you go on the internet and do some reading. You'll see the Bulldozer is a joke. It was in devlopment for how many years and it gets out performed by older Phenom II's and Athelon II and it doesnt come close to touching Sandy Bridges in most programs. You are compleatly a lost cause if you think the Bulldozer is faster at stock speeds. Clock for clock it doesnt beat a Sandy Bridges. A Bulldozer has to be overclcked just to be equal to a stock Intel Sandy Bridges. Thats how pathetic it is.

Yea we're fanboys..ok. Why because we state facts that are backed up by tons of reviews and benchmarks. The Bulldozer is a joke and so are the AMD fanboys that fanatically try to justify what they bought with false claims and down right lies.

Spoony

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007

look if you aint going to give this guy help with his choice then go trool another thread on intel stuff.

its you who have no clue about things sunshine. ive used old and new AMD products and also intel and Nvidia products, im not one sided like you are and also norrow minded and self obsessed with playing with intels balls and asking for man love with them.

i use what best for the job and pice at hand and this guy is obviously trying to do the same.

intel is great sure no question but AMD is good and not as crap as shemales like you that want to pleasure the intel bosses to get a good name for themself's.

i have the following at home AMD 955, 1090T, FX-8150, also Intel 2500 and the newLGA 2011 3930K all work fine with games all run things at highest level and all do whats needed and then some, so you tell me then whats so bad about things that work and do the job thats asked of them ?

my answer is nothing what so ever so go trool in a forum full of intel fangirls and all play with yourself's seeing who has the best gear ;)

leave the forum stuff to the real people who ACTUALLY want to help people ok kid ;) now theres a good boy ;)

Boopoo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

BD FX-8150 is a powerhouse I should know I own one did you own one ?

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
The only difference between the two parts is the stock clocks. Otherwise, they both have the same cache, unlocked multipliers, etc. I myself went with the 8120 when I did my BD build, and it has been a solid performer, almost indistinguishable from my i5 2500K.

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Yes the FX-8150 would give you more performance then the FX-8120, but is the gain worth the money... I don't know, that really depends. You can overclock the 20 to perform like the 50, but that is if ure willing to do the work to get there. In terms of best performance for the dollar ratio, u cannot beat a i5 2500k overclocked to a bit over 4gHz right now - this can be accomplished on a relatively inexpensive air cooler, and isn't that difficult to do.

I dont have to. All I have to do is look at the benchmarks to see its a piss poor performer especially when its gettimg beaten out by dual core CPU's and older Phenom II's and Athelon II's.

Boopoo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

Propaganda go home ^

loneninja

Distinguished
Difference between FX 8120 and FX 8150 is the same as the difference between Phenom II X6 1090T and 1100T, it's just a different multiplier out of factory to give it a different clock speed, and both will overclock about the same.

Personally I would get the 8120, but I have access to microcenter and can get it with a free motherboard, makes the price difference a good $140 between the 2 for me.

If for gaming I'd also go Intel instead, the FX 8xxx isn't any better than the FX 4xxx for gaming, it's only in a variety of applications that can use 8 threads that the FX 8xxx is even worth considering.

Solution

cyansnow

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Plus 1. Well spoken, well explained. Provieded a great and relavant answer.

Boopoo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

Actually in most games the 8150 is on par with i5 2500K minus the games where Intel and Nvidia have crippled the game code to favor Intel Nividia architecture over AMD like StarCraft2 and HAWKS 2

e56imfg

Distinguished
The FX CPUs aren't bad, it's just that the previous generations outperform them at a lower cost.
Don't even get me started on Sandy Bridge.

Here's a article about how they perform. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120.html

Here's a hierarchy chart for gaming. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

As stated before, Intel is the obvious winner at the price/performance ratio but guessing you already have a AMD mobo, I would ditch BD and go for a Thuban.

cyansnow

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah, the 8150 is a great chip, I was just saying that his explanation of the diff. between the 8120 and 8150 was a good answer. Also, how does your 8150 do on 3d rendering? Was thinking of making a new build using amd cpu/gpu

Boopoo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

I don't do any work with my 8150 all I do with it is internet, Games, Movies and light Music and video encoding. I am sure it would work great for heavy duty tasks but I just bought it so I would not have to upgrade when apps take advantage of more cores.

Woop de freaking do.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/the-bulldozer-review-amd-fx8150-tested

images

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

lol.. not biased or anything...what happened to "we state facts that are backed up by tons of reviews"..

and how bout the reviews of THOUSANDS of happy bulldozer customers who actually bought and use the cpus? they are just "AMD fanboys that fanatically try to justify what they bought with false claims and down right lies"? lol..

whats more likely.. that thousands of people use the bulldozer are crazy lying fans or that your perception of the bulldozer is wrong and its not that bad? hmm? ;)

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
*sigh* Boopoo again... Anyway...
Get a phenom ii x6 if you can. Bulldozer isn't a bad chip, it just performs worse than the phenom ii's by a small margin. Since it didn't outperform AMD's previous chips, it's got a bad rep. which depending on who you talk to is a deal breaker. If it wasn't for AMD phasing out Phenom II, many people would still make recommendations for it.

Right now, if building new, build intel. If you already have an AM3/AM3+ then you don't have much need to switch, just stick with phenom ii until piledriver comes out which should help.

To the comment suggesting to listen to reviews of the masses of random people who bought BD.
The majority of people in the world would be fine with a core2duo or Athlon II x2 as there is no perceivable difference between them and the best of the best out there since 1. majority don't need more power and won't notice otherwise. 2. most only browse the internet or watch videos and facebook.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

The funny thing is many of the people I know, have more than one sandy bridge build. :lol:

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

i agree sandybridge is better but i dont think the bulldozer is as bad as people make it out to be because there are so many positive reviews from actual costumers :p

Status
Not open for further replies.