Sticky about posting your info

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
This works for most posters at other forums, and would save repliers some time, something like :

"When posting, please indicate your specs (or OS,) and the make/model number / version of the the problem hardware/software."

Or something similar. Even if 1/3 of the OP's use it, it has already saved a lot of the back and forth Q's.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
It's hidden in the rules. Not a big deal to make a separate sticky of it. Take 5 minutes of someone's time, maybe call it "Sticky: Please state your specs." I'm on 5 other forums, and it seems to work for many posters, although you'll never get them all. My friend, who owns a computer repair co and several tech websites, followed me here from another forum where we were not appreciated, and he said it he liked the easygoing atmosphere here, but we agreed that not enough folks state their specs.

I have gathered the following initial posts, which we're expected to interpret before we can even answer them. I have not edited: [:graywolf:7]

1. windows photos will not print,title window pops up

2. suppressing windows xp finished installing new device do you wan: 3 Search Results "Reviews"

3. Hello,whn i on my system opning winows after few minutes blue screen coming how to solve my problem

4. while installingf complete iis it says the file not found how to get the file

5. How to remove counting from hard disk? Window xp

6. Hello, I don;t have Drive D(code 19)

One of the problems, is not everyone comes into the forum sections to post their questions. Questions can be asked from Tom's Guide and Tom's Hardware, using the 'ask the community now' feature. I think that is where we get a lot of those vague, drive by questions.

I'm not against it. If it helps, I'm all for it.

We have one in the homebuilt section, for those seeking build advice. The problem is, people rarely look at it. We constantly are having to give people the link.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I suggest one in each major section, maybe in color with a catchy title.

Don't understand what you said about the way fly-by posts come in. Where are those asked? Thought the Guide was strictly informational.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

:eek: Tom'sGuide Forum looks just like this one! Those Q's get copied here or stay there?

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I've been trying to get my sig in a diff color, and my color scheme ... [:mousemonkey:2]

Anyway, I think the stickies will help somewhat in any color, esp if they look new.

Do i get to exceed Newcomer if this works? :pt1cable: