Dead Pixels in Perspective

The PSP screen has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, or 130,560 total
pixels.

Even if you found 10 stuck/dead pixels, that's only .00765% of the total
screen. You would have to have 1,305 stuck/dead pixels to even approach 1%
of the total screen area. I'm willing to bet that most people have a larger
percentage of their television screens or computer monitors covered by dust
and spots.

I expect my PSP to work correctly, and it does. Everyone I've shown it to
thinks that the screen is the most beautiful thing they have ever seen. I
agree, even though it has 3 dead/stuck pixels that can only be seen on a
solid black loading screen if you hold the PSP 1/2 an inch from your face.
I don't play black loading screens--I play games and watch movies--and I
don't hold the unit 1/2 inch from my face while doing so.

I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think that
people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!

End of my 2 cents...

Android wrote:
> The PSP screen has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, or 130,560 total
> pixels.
>
> Even if you found 10 stuck/dead pixels, that's only .00765% of the
total
> screen. You would have to have 1,305 stuck/dead pixels to even
approach 1%
> of the total screen area. I'm willing to bet that most people have a
larger
> percentage of their television screens or computer monitors covered
by dust
> and spots.

Of course no one views their TV sets from six inches away either. Huge
difference.

> I expect my PSP to work correctly, and it does. Everyone I've shown
it to
> thinks that the screen is the most beautiful thing they have ever
seen. I
> agree, even though it has 3 dead/stuck pixels that can only be seen
on a
> solid black loading screen if you hold the PSP 1/2 an inch from your
face.
> I don't play black loading screens--I play games and watch
movies--and I
> don't hold the unit 1/2 inch from my face while doing so.
>
> I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think
that
> people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
> dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!
>
> End of my 2 cents...

Methinks you're making excuses for Sony. No biggie tho. Some people
might expect a better quality product for $250, you're simply not one
of them.

As long as each individual is happy with what they have, it really
doesn't matter.

Android wrote:

> I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think that
> people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
> dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!

Thanks to all this pixel talk, I now realize I *DO* have some dead pixels.
Looks like three. I would never have noticed them if I hadn't scrutinized
the screen while it was displaying a static colored background, because
they're completely invisible when there's any kind of moving image on the
screen. It's not enough to bother me tho, and I'm anal when it comes to
stuff like this. But if not for all these pixel obsessed wankers, I would
have remained blissfully ignorant forever.

-Z-

I was actually like those people who wanted to return it and get a
perfect system. I have 2 stuck/dead pixels, one of them you can't even
see it. I would want however a perfect system seeing as I have paid
almost $300 for it. But seeing as there is such a slim chance of
getting a perfect one I'll stick with the one I have. For the moment
being I'm happy I have the system and I'm glad I don't have more than
two.
I did buy the warranty for it, so I think I'll wait
for the time when it expires to return it and get a new one, Hopefully
sony would have gotten their problems fixed.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Android wrote:

>The PSP screen has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, or 130,560 total
>pixels.
>
>Even if you found 10 stuck/dead pixels, that's only .00765% of the total
>screen. You would have to have 1,305 stuck/dead pixels to even approach 1%
>of the total screen area. I'm willing to bet that most people have a larger
>percentage of their television screens or computer monitors covered by dust
>and spots.
>
>I expect my PSP to work correctly, and it does. Everyone I've shown it to
>thinks that the screen is the most beautiful thing they have ever seen. I
>agree, even though it has 3 dead/stuck pixels that can only be seen on a
>solid black loading screen if you hold the PSP 1/2 an inch from your face.
>I don't play black loading screens--I play games and watch movies--and I
>don't hold the unit 1/2 inch from my face while doing so.
>
>I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think that
>people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
>dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!
>
>End of my 2 cents...

Agreed. This pixel envy has gotten way out of hand.

Eric wrote:
> Android wrote:
>
>> The PSP screen has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, or 130,560 total
>> pixels.
>>
>> Even if you found 10 stuck/dead pixels, that's only .00765% of the total
>> screen. You would have to have 1,305 stuck/dead pixels to even
>> approach 1%
>> of the total screen area. I'm willing to bet that most people have a
>> larger
>> percentage of their television screens or computer monitors covered by
>> dust
>> and spots.
>>
>> I expect my PSP to work correctly, and it does. Everyone I've shown
>> it to
>> thinks that the screen is the most beautiful thing they have ever
>> seen. I
>> agree, even though it has 3 dead/stuck pixels that can only be seen on a
>> solid black loading screen if you hold the PSP 1/2 an inch from your
>> face.
>> I don't play black loading screens--I play games and watch movies--and I
>> don't hold the unit 1/2 inch from my face while doing so.
>>
>> I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think that
>> people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
>> dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!
>>
>> End of my 2 cents...
>>

> Agreed. This pixel envy has gotten way out of hand.

Yep it is pretty ridiculous. Unless you had a cluster of them right in
the middle of the screen or something then most people are just bitching
to be bitching it seems.

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
> The PSP screen has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, or 130,560 total
> pixels.
>
> Even if you found 10 stuck/dead pixels, that's only .00765% of the total
> screen. You would have to have 1,305 stuck/dead pixels to even approach
> 1%
> of the total screen area. I'm willing to bet that most people have a
> larger
> percentage of their television screens or computer monitors covered by
> dust
> and spots.
>
> I expect my PSP to work correctly, and it does. Everyone I've shown it to
> thinks that the screen is the most beautiful thing they have ever seen. I
> agree, even though it has 3 dead/stuck pixels that can only be seen on a
> solid black loading screen if you hold the PSP 1/2 an inch from your face.
> I don't play black loading screens--I play games and watch movies--and I
> don't hold the unit 1/2 inch from my face while doing so.
>
> I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think that
> people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
> dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!
>
> End of my 2 cents...

Man, I agree totally. I hear of some people returning there psp 3-4 times. I
mean wtf! Get a life.

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
> The PSP screen has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, or 130,560 total
> pixels.
>
> Even if you found 10 stuck/dead pixels, that's only .00765% of the total
> screen. You would have to have 1,305 stuck/dead pixels to even approach
> 1%
> of the total screen area. I'm willing to bet that most people have a
> larger
> percentage of their television screens or computer monitors covered by
> dust
> and spots.
>
> I expect my PSP to work correctly, and it does. Everyone I've shown it to
> thinks that the screen is the most beautiful thing they have ever seen. I
> agree, even though it has 3 dead/stuck pixels that can only be seen on a
> solid black loading screen if you hold the PSP 1/2 an inch from your face.
> I don't play black loading screens--I play games and watch movies--and I
> don't hold the unit 1/2 inch from my face while doing so.
>
> I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think that
> people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
> dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!
>
> End of my 2 cents...

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Just the simple fact that Sony is allowing them to be returned is amazing in
itself.
Most projector manufacturers won't allow returns on high end projector's
costing thousands to 10 of thousands of dollars unless you have more than 3
dead or stuck pixels. I have 0 stuck ordead pixels on my PSP. This lil unit
is freaking awesome, stuck pixels or not.

"Boody Bandit" <lightenup@francis.news> wrote in message

> "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> The PSP screen has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, or 130,560 total
>> pixels.
>>
>> Even if you found 10 stuck/dead pixels, that's only .00765% of the total
>> screen. You would have to have 1,305 stuck/dead pixels to even approach
>> 1%
>> of the total screen area. I'm willing to bet that most people have a
>> larger
>> percentage of their television screens or computer monitors covered by
>> dust
>> and spots.
>>
>> I expect my PSP to work correctly, and it does. Everyone I've shown it
>> thinks that the screen is the most beautiful thing they have ever seen.
>> agree, even though it has 3 dead/stuck pixels that can only be seen on a
>> solid black loading screen if you hold the PSP 1/2 an inch from your
>> face.
>> I don't play black loading screens--I play games and watch movies--and I
>> don't hold the unit 1/2 inch from my face while doing so.
>>
>> I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think that
>> people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
>> dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!
>>
>> End of my 2 cents...
>
> I couldn't have said it better myself.
> Just the simple fact that Sony is allowing them to be returned is amazing
> in itself.
> Most projector manufacturers won't allow returns on high end projector's
> costing thousands to 10 of thousands of dollars unless you have more than
> 3 dead or stuck pixels. I have 0 stuck ordead pixels on my PSP. This lil
> unit is freaking awesome, stuck pixels or not.

If I pay $10k for something it better be the prettiest thing on earth or
someone is in for an ass whoopin. For $250, I'm cool.

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
> The PSP screen has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, or 130,560 total
> pixels.
>
> Even if you found 10 stuck/dead pixels, that's only .00765% of the total
> screen. You would have to have 1,305 stuck/dead pixels to even approach
> 1%
> of the total screen area. I'm willing to bet that most people have a
> larger
> percentage of their television screens or computer monitors covered by
> dust
> and spots.
>
> I expect my PSP to work correctly, and it does. Everyone I've shown it to
> thinks that the screen is the most beautiful thing they have ever seen. I
> agree, even though it has 3 dead/stuck pixels that can only be seen on a
> solid black loading screen if you hold the PSP 1/2 an inch from your face.
> I don't play black loading screens--I play games and watch movies--and I
> don't hold the unit 1/2 inch from my face while doing so.
>
> I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think that
> people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
> dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!
>
> End of my 2 cents...

Dead pixels make the unit unique and is easily identifiable if the unit is
stolen and recovered. People should get a grip on the deadies and be proud.
Even go to a point of naming them !!

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

> Yep it is pretty ridiculous. Unless you had a cluster of them right in the
> middle of the screen or something then most people are just bitching to be
> bitching it seems.

I think a larger cluster of dead pixels in a prominent position is
unacceptable. But when there's two or three rounds the edges they should be
celebrated :)

Mike

Splendid

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
> The PSP screen has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, or 130,560 total
> pixels.
>
> Even if you found 10 stuck/dead pixels, that's only .00765% of the total
> screen. You would have to have 1,305 stuck/dead pixels to even approach
1%
> of the total screen area. I'm willing to bet that most people have a
larger
> percentage of their television screens or computer monitors covered by
dust
> and spots.
>
> I expect my PSP to work correctly, and it does. Everyone I've shown it to
> thinks that the screen is the most beautiful thing they have ever seen. I
> agree, even though it has 3 dead/stuck pixels that can only be seen on a
> solid black loading screen if you hold the PSP 1/2 an inch from your face.
> I don't play black loading screens--I play games and watch movies--and I
> don't hold the unit 1/2 inch from my face while doing so.
>
> I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think that
> people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
> dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!
>
> End of my 2 cents...

1 or 2 pixels is fine, and nothing worth complaining about. But 10? Thats
higher than the acceptable number for computer lcds which have resolutions
of 1024x768 (786,432 pixels) and up.

Andrew

Android wrote:
> The PSP screen has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, or 130,560 total
> pixels.
>
> Even if you found 10 stuck/dead pixels, that's only .00765% of the total
> screen. You would have to have 1,305 stuck/dead pixels to even approach 1%
> of the total screen area. I'm willing to bet that most people have a larger
> percentage of their television screens or computer monitors covered by dust
> and spots.
>
> I expect my PSP to work correctly, and it does. Everyone I've shown it to
> thinks that the screen is the most beautiful thing they have ever seen. I
> agree, even though it has 3 dead/stuck pixels that can only be seen on a
> solid black loading screen if you hold the PSP 1/2 an inch from your face.
> I don't play black loading screens--I play games and watch movies--and I
> don't hold the unit 1/2 inch from my face while doing so.
>
> I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think that
> people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
> dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!
>
> End of my 2 cents...

I returned mine as it had over 1 dozen white pixels all clumped in a corner.
My 2nd one is perfect.

--

Andrew