Dead Pixels in Perspective

The PSP screen has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, or 130,560 total
pixels.

Even if you found 10 stuck/dead pixels, that's only .00765% of the total
screen. You would have to have 1,305 stuck/dead pixels to even approach 1%
of the total screen area. I'm willing to bet that most people have a larger
percentage of their television screens or computer monitors covered by dust
and spots.

I expect my PSP to work correctly, and it does. Everyone I've shown it to
thinks that the screen is the most beautiful thing they have ever seen. I
agree, even though it has 3 dead/stuck pixels that can only be seen on a
solid black loading screen if you hold the PSP 1/2 an inch from your face.
I don't play black loading screens--I play games and watch movies--and I
don't hold the unit 1/2 inch from my face while doing so.

I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think that
people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!

End of my 2 cents...
12 answers Last reply
More about dead pixels perspective

    Android wrote:
    > The PSP screen has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, or 130,560 total
    > pixels.
    >
    > Even if you found 10 stuck/dead pixels, that's only .00765% of the
    total
    > screen. You would have to have 1,305 stuck/dead pixels to even
    approach 1%
    > of the total screen area. I'm willing to bet that most people have a
    larger
    > percentage of their television screens or computer monitors covered
    by dust
    > and spots.

    Of course no one views their TV sets from six inches away either. Huge
    difference.

    > I expect my PSP to work correctly, and it does. Everyone I've shown
    it to
    > thinks that the screen is the most beautiful thing they have ever
    seen. I
    > agree, even though it has 3 dead/stuck pixels that can only be seen
    on a
    > solid black loading screen if you hold the PSP 1/2 an inch from your
    face.
    > I don't play black loading screens--I play games and watch
    movies--and I
    > don't hold the unit 1/2 inch from my face while doing so.
    >
    > I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think
    that
    > people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
    > dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!
    >
    > End of my 2 cents...

    Methinks you're making excuses for Sony. No biggie tho. Some people
    might expect a better quality product for $250, you're simply not one
    of them.

    As long as each individual is happy with what they have, it really
    doesn't matter.

    Android wrote:

    > I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think that
    > people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
    > dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!

    Thanks to all this pixel talk, I now realize I *DO* have some dead pixels.
    Looks like three. I would never have noticed them if I hadn't scrutinized
    the screen while it was displaying a static colored background, because
    they're completely invisible when there's any kind of moving image on the
    screen. It's not enough to bother me tho, and I'm anal when it comes to
    stuff like this. But if not for all these pixel obsessed wankers, I would
    have remained blissfully ignorant forever.

    -Z-

    I was actually like those people who wanted to return it and get a
    perfect system. I have 2 stuck/dead pixels, one of them you can't even
    see it. I would want however a perfect system seeing as I have paid
    almost $300 for it. But seeing as there is such a slim chance of
    getting a perfect one I'll stick with the one I have. For the moment
    being I'm happy I have the system and I'm glad I don't have more than
    two.
    I did buy the warranty for it, so I think I'll wait
    for the time when it expires to return it and get a new one, Hopefully
    sony would have gotten their problems fixed.

    Android wrote:

    >The PSP screen has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, or 130,560 total
    >pixels.
    >
    >Even if you found 10 stuck/dead pixels, that's only .00765% of the total
    >screen. You would have to have 1,305 stuck/dead pixels to even approach 1%
    >of the total screen area. I'm willing to bet that most people have a larger
    >percentage of their television screens or computer monitors covered by dust
    >and spots.
    >
    >I expect my PSP to work correctly, and it does. Everyone I've shown it to
    >thinks that the screen is the most beautiful thing they have ever seen. I
    >agree, even though it has 3 dead/stuck pixels that can only be seen on a
    >solid black loading screen if you hold the PSP 1/2 an inch from your face.
    >I don't play black loading screens--I play games and watch movies--and I
    >don't hold the unit 1/2 inch from my face while doing so.
    >
    >I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think that
    >people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
    >dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!
    >
    >End of my 2 cents...

    Agreed. This pixel envy has gotten way out of hand.

    Eric wrote:
    > Android wrote:
    >
    >> The PSP screen has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, or 130,560 total
    >> pixels.
    >>
    >> Even if you found 10 stuck/dead pixels, that's only .00765% of the total
    >> screen. You would have to have 1,305 stuck/dead pixels to even
    >> approach 1%
    >> of the total screen area. I'm willing to bet that most people have a
    >> larger
    >> percentage of their television screens or computer monitors covered by
    >> dust
    >> and spots.
    >>
    >> I expect my PSP to work correctly, and it does. Everyone I've shown
    >> it to
    >> thinks that the screen is the most beautiful thing they have ever
    >> seen. I
    >> agree, even though it has 3 dead/stuck pixels that can only be seen on a
    >> solid black loading screen if you hold the PSP 1/2 an inch from your
    >> face.
    >> I don't play black loading screens--I play games and watch movies--and I
    >> don't hold the unit 1/2 inch from my face while doing so.
    >>
    >> I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think that
    >> people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
    >> dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!
    >>
    >> End of my 2 cents...
    >>

    > Agreed. This pixel envy has gotten way out of hand.

    Yep it is pretty ridiculous. Unless you had a cluster of them right in
    the middle of the screen or something then most people are just bitching
    to be bitching it seems.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
    > The PSP screen has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, or 130,560 total
    > pixels.
    >
    > Even if you found 10 stuck/dead pixels, that's only .00765% of the total
    > screen. You would have to have 1,305 stuck/dead pixels to even approach
    > 1%
    > of the total screen area. I'm willing to bet that most people have a
    > larger
    > percentage of their television screens or computer monitors covered by
    > dust
    > and spots.
    >
    > I expect my PSP to work correctly, and it does. Everyone I've shown it to
    > thinks that the screen is the most beautiful thing they have ever seen. I
    > agree, even though it has 3 dead/stuck pixels that can only be seen on a
    > solid black loading screen if you hold the PSP 1/2 an inch from your face.
    > I don't play black loading screens--I play games and watch movies--and I
    > don't hold the unit 1/2 inch from my face while doing so.
    >
    > I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think that
    > people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
    > dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!
    >
    > End of my 2 cents...

    Man, I agree totally. I hear of some people returning there psp 3-4 times. I
    mean wtf! Get a life.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
    > The PSP screen has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, or 130,560 total
    > pixels.
    >
    > Even if you found 10 stuck/dead pixels, that's only .00765% of the total
    > screen. You would have to have 1,305 stuck/dead pixels to even approach
    > 1%
    > of the total screen area. I'm willing to bet that most people have a
    > larger
    > percentage of their television screens or computer monitors covered by
    > dust
    > and spots.
    >
    > I expect my PSP to work correctly, and it does. Everyone I've shown it to
    > thinks that the screen is the most beautiful thing they have ever seen. I
    > agree, even though it has 3 dead/stuck pixels that can only be seen on a
    > solid black loading screen if you hold the PSP 1/2 an inch from your face.
    > I don't play black loading screens--I play games and watch movies--and I
    > don't hold the unit 1/2 inch from my face while doing so.
    >
    > I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think that
    > people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
    > dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!
    >
    > End of my 2 cents...

    I couldn't have said it better myself.
    Just the simple fact that Sony is allowing them to be returned is amazing in
    itself.
    Most projector manufacturers won't allow returns on high end projector's
    costing thousands to 10 of thousands of dollars unless you have more than 3
    dead or stuck pixels. I have 0 stuck ordead pixels on my PSP. This lil unit
    is freaking awesome, stuck pixels or not.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Boody Bandit" <lightenup@francis.news> wrote in message

    > "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
    >> The PSP screen has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, or 130,560 total
    >> pixels.
    >>
    >> Even if you found 10 stuck/dead pixels, that's only .00765% of the total
    >> screen. You would have to have 1,305 stuck/dead pixels to even approach
    >> 1%
    >> of the total screen area. I'm willing to bet that most people have a
    >> larger
    >> percentage of their television screens or computer monitors covered by
    >> dust
    >> and spots.
    >>
    >> I expect my PSP to work correctly, and it does. Everyone I've shown it
    >> thinks that the screen is the most beautiful thing they have ever seen.
    >> agree, even though it has 3 dead/stuck pixels that can only be seen on a
    >> solid black loading screen if you hold the PSP 1/2 an inch from your
    >> face.
    >> I don't play black loading screens--I play games and watch movies--and I
    >> don't hold the unit 1/2 inch from my face while doing so.
    >>
    >> I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think that
    >> people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
    >> dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!
    >>
    >> End of my 2 cents...
    >
    > I couldn't have said it better myself.
    > Just the simple fact that Sony is allowing them to be returned is amazing
    > in itself.
    > Most projector manufacturers won't allow returns on high end projector's
    > costing thousands to 10 of thousands of dollars unless you have more than
    > 3 dead or stuck pixels. I have 0 stuck ordead pixels on my PSP. This lil
    > unit is freaking awesome, stuck pixels or not.

    If I pay $10k for something it better be the prettiest thing on earth or
    someone is in for an ass whoopin. For $250, I'm cool.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
    > The PSP screen has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, or 130,560 total
    > pixels.
    >
    > Even if you found 10 stuck/dead pixels, that's only .00765% of the total
    > screen. You would have to have 1,305 stuck/dead pixels to even approach
    > 1%
    > of the total screen area. I'm willing to bet that most people have a
    > larger
    > percentage of their television screens or computer monitors covered by
    > dust
    > and spots.
    >
    > I expect my PSP to work correctly, and it does. Everyone I've shown it to
    > thinks that the screen is the most beautiful thing they have ever seen. I
    > agree, even though it has 3 dead/stuck pixels that can only be seen on a
    > solid black loading screen if you hold the PSP 1/2 an inch from your face.
    > I don't play black loading screens--I play games and watch movies--and I
    > don't hold the unit 1/2 inch from my face while doing so.
    >
    > I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think that
    > people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
    > dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!
    >
    > End of my 2 cents...

    Dead pixels make the unit unique and is easily identifiable if the unit is
    stolen and recovered. People should get a grip on the deadies and be proud.
    Even go to a point of naming them !!
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

    > Yep it is pretty ridiculous. Unless you had a cluster of them right in the
    > middle of the screen or something then most people are just bitching to be
    > bitching it seems.

    I think a larger cluster of dead pixels in a prominent position is
    unacceptable. But when there's two or three rounds the edges they should be
    celebrated :-)
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
    > The PSP screen has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, or 130,560 total
    > pixels.
    >
    > Even if you found 10 stuck/dead pixels, that's only .00765% of the total
    > screen. You would have to have 1,305 stuck/dead pixels to even approach
    1%
    > of the total screen area. I'm willing to bet that most people have a
    larger
    > percentage of their television screens or computer monitors covered by
    dust
    > and spots.
    >
    > I expect my PSP to work correctly, and it does. Everyone I've shown it to
    > thinks that the screen is the most beautiful thing they have ever seen. I
    > agree, even though it has 3 dead/stuck pixels that can only be seen on a
    > solid black loading screen if you hold the PSP 1/2 an inch from your face.
    > I don't play black loading screens--I play games and watch movies--and I
    > don't hold the unit 1/2 inch from my face while doing so.
    >
    > I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think that
    > people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
    > dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!
    >
    > End of my 2 cents...

    1 or 2 pixels is fine, and nothing worth complaining about. But 10? Thats
    higher than the acceptable number for computer lcds which have resolutions
    of 1024x768 (786,432 pixels) and up.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Android wrote:
    > The PSP screen has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, or 130,560 total
    > pixels.
    >
    > Even if you found 10 stuck/dead pixels, that's only .00765% of the total
    > screen. You would have to have 1,305 stuck/dead pixels to even approach 1%
    > of the total screen area. I'm willing to bet that most people have a larger
    > percentage of their television screens or computer monitors covered by dust
    > and spots.
    >
    > I expect my PSP to work correctly, and it does. Everyone I've shown it to
    > thinks that the screen is the most beautiful thing they have ever seen. I
    > agree, even though it has 3 dead/stuck pixels that can only be seen on a
    > solid black loading screen if you hold the PSP 1/2 an inch from your face.
    > I don't play black loading screens--I play games and watch movies--and I
    > don't hold the unit 1/2 inch from my face while doing so.
    >
    > I don't expect 100% perfection from anything in life, and I think that
    > people who are trying to return their PSP's because of a couple of
    > dead/stuck pixels are being extremely anal. Get a life people!
    >
    > End of my 2 cents...

    I returned mine as it had over 1 dozen white pixels all clumped in a corner.
    My 2nd one is perfect.

    --

    Andrew

Console Gaming PlayStation Video Games