negative scanning

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
April 27, 2005 1:52:20 AM

Hi

I have a hewlet packard printer that apparently does not support negative
scanning. I then found lying around at work a mirror setup that uses the
light from the flatbed scanner to light up the negative from behind. The
problem I now have is to convert the negative back to colour ie. remove the
orange mask. Does anyone know of a program that can do this? I have tried
Paint Shop and Roxio but the negative functions on these just invert the
colours and turn the image blue.

Thanks Lots

Andy........

More about : negative scanning

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 1:52:21 AM

If the scanner doesn't support negative scans, you are almost certainly
in trouble. The adjustment for the masking colour needs to be done at
the time it scans, otherwise there will be so little data in the
blues/greens/purples (assuming orange mask) that there will be little
left of the inverse colors, hence the almost monochrome blue result.

You could try adjusting the color on the HP, if it allows that but on
the scanners I have played with it was a waste of time as it did the
adjustment post-scan.

Your little mirror thing can probably be used on slides, but even then,
a flatbed scanner that is not designed for transparencies is not going
to give you very good results. Hop down to your local photostore for
scanning, or bite the bullet and buy a real film scanner.
April 27, 2005 8:35:36 PM

>Thanks for this it looks just like what i'm after. And everyone else
>says it cant be done!!

Let us know how you go, because I *still* think it `can't be done` -
but I'm very happy to be proved wrong!
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:11:26 PM

In article <d4md6j$g8t$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>,
"ANDREW CROSS" <andyjcross@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a hewlet packard printer that apparently does not support negative
> scanning. I then found lying around at work a mirror setup that uses the
> light from the flatbed scanner to light up the negative from behind. The
> problem I now have is to convert the negative back to colour ie. remove the
> orange mask. Does anyone know of a program that can do this? I have tried
> Paint Shop and Roxio but the negative functions on these just invert the
> colours and turn the image blue.

Flatbed scanners designed for neg scanning have filters to remove this
cast as do dedicated film scanners. I don't think you'll be able to do
this with a non-negative scanner, besides the output from a flatbed will
be far inferior to a dedicated scanner. Either scan prints with the
flatbed you have or get yourself a film scanner. PrimeFilm make a good
1800dpi scanner for around £100. Then there is the Minolta Dimage IV for
about twice the price. Take a look on ebay for these or your local
camera store. If you have a finite number of negs to scan, you can
always re-sell the scanner afterwards.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:47:12 PM

Thanks for this it looks just like what i'm after. And everyone else says it
cant be done!!

Andy...

!