Sign in with
Your question

Final Buildlist Soon Finished, Last Minute Advice!

Last response: in Systems
November 24, 2011 4:43:41 PM

Happy Thanksgiving!

As you guys know black friday and cyber monday are soon to be here, I'd like last minute advice, compatibility check and changes if necessary to the last few crucial parts of my build.

Here's my list:

MOBO - ASUS Z68
GPU - Currently GTX 260, in the future buy Gigabyte GTX 570
OS - Windows 7 64bit Home Pre
CPU - Intel i5-2500k Sandy Bridge @ 3.3 GHz
w/ Cooler - Cooler Master 212 EVO. This is for future possible SLI if I want to. (Already Bought)
RAM - Corsiar Vengeance (2x4) 8GB. (Already bought)
CASE - NZXT Guardian 921. (Already have)
PSU - Corsair 750w. (Already have)

I still need an HDD, any recommendations in the ranges of 750GB - 1TB would be appreciated. Any advice given I will look into. If I need to do the Template Questions, I will if it will help you guys in giving me advice.

I mainly need advice in the MOBO, GPU, OS and CPU area for those I haven't bought yet. If you have recommendations other than what I have, by all means post :D .

If you have any questions I will answer to the best of my knowledge, thanks in advance.
November 24, 2011 4:50:36 PM

Why not wait for ATI's 7xxx series if you're just going to use that crappy GTX 260 as a placeholder? The CPU you've selected is absolutely perfect, no need to change that, not unless you're waiting for Ivy Bridge this March. If you're really patient, then you should just wait for both or buy that GTX 570 now.

So far everything looks fine.
November 24, 2011 4:59:57 PM

I don't like ATI, but thanks for the suggestion. I'm waiting for that 570 or anything relevant to hopefully be reduced price in the coming days, if not I'll buy it at that current price.
Related resources
November 24, 2011 5:07:55 PM

nonsubmssve said:
I don't like ATI, but thanks for the suggestion. I'm waiting for that 570 or anything relevant to hopefully be reduced price in the coming days, if not I'll buy it at that current price.

Why not? They've really picked things up and I'd even go as far as saying that the 6 Series has definitely been a better line than the GeForce 500 series when you consider things such as cost-effectiveness. Wouldn't have even been able to say anything remotely close to this a generation or two ago...
November 24, 2011 5:24:01 PM

Yeah exactly, look how old my GTX 260 is lol that's the last time i bought something and at that time ATI was not very good. So my opinion still stands since then, but now I'm getting back into computers and i'll have to research their new toys but i've always been a nVidia person. I'll change my opinion once i see what they've got.

Anywho I still need an HDD if anyone has suggestions, more feedback on my list would be appreciated.
November 24, 2011 6:03:04 PM

nonsubmssve said:
Yeah exactly, look how old my GTX 260 is lol that's the last time i bought something and at that time ATI was not very good. So my opinion still stands since then, but now I'm getting back into computers and i'll have to research their new toys but i've always been a nVidia person. I'll change my opinion once i see what they've got.

Anywho I still need an HDD if anyone has suggestions, more feedback on my list would be appreciated.

Alrightey.

I recommend this 500gb HDD. It's pretty reliable, relatively cost-effective and the 7200RPM means good speeds. This 500gb one is $10 cheaper, but it operates at only 5400RPM. And finally, this is a relatively cheap yet reliable 1TB HDD.

Seriously. It isn't 2005 anymore. ATI/AMD makes really good GPUs and sadly Nvidea isn't really as competitive as they should be.
!