Sign in with
Your question

Memory Problem!

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
January 1, 2013 10:29:07 AM

Hello community,

I have the most unfortunate predicament of only being able to use about 4gb of my installed 8gb memory (2x4gb dual channel @ 1333mhz).

I have researched extensively about this problem, however (nearly) all the solutions I have applied and failed.

Currently, I am running Windows 64 bit Ultimate, so no limitations should come into effect.

Methods I have already tried:

-updated BIOS
-passed memtest
-unchecked "max memory" and "no. of cores" in the control panel
-fiddled around with BIOS settings
-tested each stick individually
-certified the ram is compatible with my motherboard (h77-pro4-mvp)

I have some screenshots showing the problem taking place:

The only things that aren't programs taking up memory is hardware, cache and modified which in total only uses less than a gigabyte of memory.

Also, the processor is getting loaded. It could be that my processor is preventing me from loading anymore programs, but all the errors say "out of memory", CPU usage not being mentioned at all.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

------------------------------
I've just found out that if you allocate for e.g. 4gb of memory to java based programs, the resource manager will not subtract 4gb from the 'available' or 'free' memory. Instead it will show what is actively being used, not reserved by a program.

More about : memory problem

a b } Memory
January 1, 2013 11:01:09 AM

Hi, With only one module test each RAM slot. See if the module is recognized and the system works well.
m
l
January 1, 2013 12:06:01 PM

alexoiu said:
Hi, With only one module test each RAM slot. See if the module is recognized and the system works well.

yeah, I already did that, mentioned it in my first post.

Thanks anyway.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b } Memory
January 1, 2013 1:52:49 PM

Testing each stick is different than testing each slot. However, have you tried clearing the CMOS, as it is not mentioned?
m
l
January 1, 2013 9:35:19 PM

alexoiu said:
Testing each stick is different than testing each slot. However, have you tried clearing the CMOS, as it is not mentioned?

Sorry, I misunderstood you post. I've just tried each slot, they all work and successfully passed memtest.

As for CMOS, I've loaded the BIOS defaults in the BIOS settings, however I have not touched the jumpers themselves or reseated the battery.
m
l
a b } Memory
January 1, 2013 9:45:47 PM

Try reseating the battery (power cord being unplugged). Sometimes it does solve this kind of issues.
m
l
January 2, 2013 1:38:12 AM

alexoiu said:
Try reseating the battery (power cord being unplugged). Sometimes it does solve this kind of issues.

OK, just before I do this, will the reset affect my hard drives' settings (I installed it in AHCI mode)?
m
l
a b } Memory
January 2, 2013 6:46:47 AM

It depends on the BIOS default setting, but the system will wait for F1. You'll enter BIOS, set date, time, then SATA a.s.o.
m
l
January 3, 2013 9:46:23 PM

alexoiu said:
It depends on the BIOS default setting, but the system will wait for F1. You'll enter BIOS, set date, time, then SATA a.s.o.

Well, I reset the CMOS, still the same situation. I'm going to reinstall my OS and see if its fixed.
m
l
January 11, 2013 5:12:24 AM

Well, somehow it fixed itself. I can now use up to 7.4 gb before windows starts harassing me about performance issues. Thanks for the answers anyway alexoiu!
m
l
!