Sign in with
Your question

Narrowed down to two Laptops- Please Help Me decide

Last response: in Systems
November 24, 2011 6:03:16 PM

Pre-note: I posted this on a different forum and didn't get many replies, so I copied and pasted the thread here. Thanks for your replies in advance!

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Those are the two laptops I've been fighting over the last day or so. I need you guys to help me make an educated decision. Here are their Specs:

HP
AMD Quad-Core A8-3500M Accelerated Processor
6GB DDR3 RAM
640GB 5,400RPM Hard Drive
17.3" High Definition+ HP BrightView LED Display
SuperMulti DVD Burner
Digital Media Card Reader
AMD Radeon™ HD 6750M
10/100/1000 Network
802.11b/g/n Wireless
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

ASUS
Intel® Core(tm) i7-2670QM
8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
640GB 5,400RPM Hard Drive
DVD±RW Drive/CD-RW Drive
15.6" HD Widescreen Display
5-in-1 Memory Card Reader
NVIDIA GeForce GT 540
10/100/1000 Network
802.11b/g/n Wireless
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

The biggest differences I see are their screens, the processors (AMD A8 vs. i7), Ram (6BG vs. 8GB), and last, but not least, their graphics cards (AMD 6750M vs. Gt 540m).

According to notebook check, amongst ntoebooks the AMD graphics card ranks 79th, and sits in the mid-high range, while the Nvidia GT 540m sits at the 100th place.

I have no idea what to choose. This is going to be a laptop that I will use for 4+ years doing schoolwork, but also for gaming. They are about the same price $30+/-, but one has a better screen and graphics card, while the other has a better processor and more ram.

EDIT: PLEASE do not suggest a different computer, I want one of these two, or anything else $800< from microcenter's website (I'm buying in-store).

I appreciate any input, thank you.
November 24, 2011 8:51:56 PM

I'd go with the HP, quad core with 6GB of RAM is still plenty for work etc. and you prefer the bigger screen by the sounds of it. It should be the better performer in games.
m
l
November 25, 2011 1:56:45 AM

Quote:
I'd go with the HP, quad core with 6GB of RAM is still plenty for work etc. and you prefer the bigger screen by the sounds of it. It should be the better performer in games.

I'd also go for the HP. In tests the 6750 comes away better than the 540, so it should be good enough for gaming, although neither of the cards are exactly high-end. You won't be getting the highest settings with full resolution in most games, but it should be good enough. Also 6gb of ram is enough for what you'll need it for and a bigger screen is a bonus, and the slightly cheaper price doesn't hurt.
m
l
November 25, 2011 2:20:29 AM

The 6750 is a good gaming chip for a laptop .

Theres a similar machine here with dual core and a 6750 driving a 15.6 inch 1366 x 768 screen and its brilliant .

The intel will be a better machine for heavy number crunching though
m
l
!