Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is this a decent gaming computer?

Last response: in Systems
November 24, 2011 6:30:09 PM

I've just started researching on how to build a computer and after hours and hours of research, I chose the parts I wanted:

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower $50
Video Card : SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB $145

Mobo: Asrock (970 EXTREME3) ATX AMD 970 Socket AM3+
combo: $165
PSU:Thortech Thunderbolt 650W TTB650G ATX 12V v2.3

CPU: AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+
Combo: $141
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

Hard drive: WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive $110
CD/DVD: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-222AL/BSBE LightScribe Support - OEM $20

On newegg, with the right combos (Combo cpu + ram & psu +mobo) its around $650. This will be my first computer built and I'm wondering if this is good build. I have a budget of $800 but i would of rather have below my budget.

Questions:
1. Is my psu enough to run this build?
2. I've been told the chipset on the mobo has to match the cpu. Does that mean an AMD chipset will work with an AMD cpu?
3. When I actually start building the computer, do I need buy any extra cables or do the parts usually come with sata cables and power cords.

Thanks for helping, have a Happy Thanksgiving.:]

More about : decent gaming computer

November 24, 2011 6:55:24 PM

Honestly go for the intel core I5 2500k

That CPU will work with that mobo. For what you need to know it's just the socket that needs to match.

I've never heard of that PSU brand and therefore know nothing about it. 650w should be heaps but I personally would get a more well known brand
m
l
November 24, 2011 6:59:25 PM

3. When I actually start building the computer, do I need buy any extra cables or do the parts usually come with sata cables and power cords.

Sorry didn't answer this one.

The mobo will come with at least 1 sata cable. And the case or PSU should come with a power cable.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 24, 2011 7:09:50 PM

The motherboard will come with the sata cables and most of the parts you need to connect parts to your computer. The power supply will come with all the power cables and the video card usually comes with some 6 or 8 pin adaptors. The thing to be concerned about is the noname components that people somethimes seem to choose for whatever reason. The two things that stand out to me that I would ask why did you choose them are the psu and the case. Actually the case really doesn't matter as it's only the place to put all the components into , but some cases are better than others as far as space and convienence goes. The psu is the main thing to be concerned about as it is a main component and I think you should go with a better brand. Antec or Corsair or Seasonic are much better choices. What will be the main use of this computer , if it's gaming you are choosing the wrong cpu as the benchmarks have proven that the Sandy Bridge and even the Gulftown are better for gaming than the Zambezi that you chose.
November 25, 2011 12:10:38 AM

Best answer selected by TheFekete.
m
l
November 25, 2011 1:32:09 AM

I don't trust that psu. Go with brands like, antec, cooler master, OCZ, XFX (read customer ratings for this brand, not all XFX is good), corsair are all trusted. Antec earthwatts isn't that great either, but again look at ratings on it.
m
l
!