computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
hi. Currently i have my heatsink positioned so that the fan blows upward (my reasoning is that since hot air rises, it might push the hot air out faster). However i get the feeling most people have it blowing towards the rear. Which position is optimal for good air flow?

p.s i have a cooler master haf 912 case.

thanks! :hello:

e56imfg

Distinguished
Which GPU do you have? The CPU cooler's main job is to keep the CPU cool, not exhaust hot air. If you have a blower-style fan on your GPU, your CPU cooler is taking in that hot air from your GPU.

Have it pointing toward the rear so that it takes in fresh air from the front of the case.

Does the 912 have removable HDD cages? If so, remove a unused HDD cage so that the air flow can go directly to the GPU and CPU.

There is no real difference.

The idea of the orientation is to direct the heated air from the cooler out of the case directly.
In your case, that can be either up or out the rear to equal effect.

If you do not have a top exhaust vent, then the only good orientation is to the rear.

I have my cooler oriented vertically to take advantage on the large fan at the top of my Antec 900 cases. I plan on tearing down one of my systems and experimenting one of these days, but there is no hurry.

I have three highly overclocked Intel Core2 systems and they have all reached CPU core speed limits without exceeding Intel's recommended voltage or thermal limits.