Sign in with
Your question

5870 Crashing on everything i do

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 28, 2011 8:03:33 AM

Okay well my ati 5870 graphics card has been crashing all the time whether surfing the web or playing a game like LoL. This has been going on for a long time and I just dealt with it but now its really starting to upset me because when writing a word document it just randomly crashes. I also havent overclocked anything, ran memtest everything checks out so i dont know what to do. If its an RMA i dont know what to do because its my only computer I have. What can i do to fix this? The screen goes gray or some other color and comes back sometimes or other times it just freaks out and just stays frozen forever in which case i restart the computer. I am open to any suggestions.

Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 Sata 6gb/s
CPU:AMD II 1090T 3.2ghz 6 core
RAM : G. Skill Ripjaws Series 4gb Ram (2x2gb) both the same
Video Card: XFX HD-5870 1gb 256bit DDR5 PCI
PSU: Corsair 650TX 650 Watts http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Monitor (connection used): Asus VE248H 24in using DVI
Hard drives: Western Digital 1tb 7200 RPA
Optical Drives: Asus Cd Rom drive
Additional PCI cards:
Number of fans present: 4

Operating System : Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate
Video Card Drivers in Use ( and tried ): 11.8
Motherboard Drivers Used: Dont know
Apps/Games causing issues ( and if they've been patched ): LoL, WoW, anything basically. Could be writing a word document and it just crashes
All major components check 100% after thorough testing ( eg. Memory & Memtest86 ): Yes memtest said everything was good
System clean of viruses / spyware etc: Ran microsoft security essentials everything was fine
Other things tried: 100% happens to crash if I take my computer off of sleep mode

Hopefully someone can help me I have provided everything I think you guys need to help me with my problem

More about : 5870 crashing

a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2011 9:15:03 AM

You need to check the temps .
The 100% Crash after Sleep Mode is a definitive sign of a temp rise.
Use the HW monitor utility or something else if you prefer and take temps readings throughout. Post them here, before the crashes and after the crashes and sleep mode wakeups.
m
l
September 28, 2011 7:39:10 PM

My temps are never over 50 and only go as high as 62 when I play crysis which i never do anymore
m
l
Related resources
September 28, 2011 8:08:16 PM

farbods,
I happen to have two (2) ATI 5870's in my system right now.
1) Did you update the firmware to the latest version (I think it may be "f8" - going from memory, I'm at work)
2) I know there was a really stable version of the drivers put out by AMD/ATI. It's 10.10 or even 10.11 worked for me for the longest time. You should be able to find one of these on CNET's download.com, or other sites found by a Google search.
I did notice that once the latest firmware and drivers (I have since jumped my drivers to 11.x) were installed onto the 5870's a more extensive OC menu was available, but I don't use it (dually's are doing just fine on performance).
If this doesn't help then try re-seating the card, removing the driver and re-installing it, or seeing if the card exhibits similar BSOD's on another system (if you have one available).
grafxfx :sol: 
m
l
September 29, 2011 12:27:01 AM

update the firmware of what exactly? the motherboard?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2011 3:55:35 AM

"Never above 62" is fine but what is the rate of rising up after you wake up the rig from sleep and before it goes into sleep is what needs to be looked into....
m
l
December 24, 2011 10:04:55 PM

Should I update the bios on my motherboard or the drivers? Im still experienceing this problem and its driving me crazy
m
l
!