Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Connection
  • Fan
  • Cases
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
January 1, 2013 2:10:40 PM

So when I got a new case for my computer I decided to keep the single 3 pin fan connector disconnected (the CPU still has a fan on the heatsink though) and it is plenty cool with allthe case fans built in. My problem is that whenever I turn on the system it gives me an error message that the fan is disconnected and I need to hit F1 to start booting. Can I plug in a 3 pin 60mm fan onto the corner of my fan that is on top of the cpu?

More about : screwing ran

a c 1189 V Motherboard
January 1, 2013 2:52:52 PM

Why would you want to have your CPU fan disconnected???
m
l
a c 491 V Motherboard
January 1, 2013 3:28:15 PM

most new cpu fans are 4 pin units. because your using 3 pins your not using the sense pin on the fan header.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 1, 2013 3:28:15 PM

What are your CPU Temps? I don't believe that your cpu can stay cool under load without the fan running.
m
l
January 1, 2013 5:00:21 PM

ss202sl said:
What are your CPU Temps? I don't believe that your cpu can stay cool under load without the fan running.

nononono! I would never do that! the cpu fan is plugged in and running fine, the case fan is the one unplugged that I wanted to screw ontop of the cpu fan.
m
l
a c 1189 V Motherboard
January 1, 2013 5:10:34 PM

There should not be any warning from the computer except for the CPU fan. So where are you getting the warning from?
m
l
January 1, 2013 9:23:33 PM

rolli59 said:
There should not be any warning from the computer except for the CPU fan. So where are you getting the warning from?

it just says fan erroe f1 to continue f2 to enter setup. The CPU fan is plugged in via a 4 pin. It's a dell prefab mobo, that's why. I just want to know the saftey of one fan on another.
m
l
January 2, 2013 9:25:05 AM

let me clarify:
there is 1 3 pin and 1 4 pin fan connector, I have the 3pin unplugged because it was a case fan and there it no more room in my new case. the 4 pin fan is on my cpu's heatsink and running fine. Can I plug in the fan again and screw it on top of my cpu fan?
m
l
January 3, 2013 3:01:16 AM

I suppose if you find a long screw...but why dont you put your case fan in its orginal location?
m
l
January 3, 2013 12:47:53 PM

aonor said:
I suppose if you find a long screw...but why dont you put your case fan in its orginal location?

...my new case has no room, and I like the glowing blue fans :D 
m
l
!