BF3 GPU

Asmodis

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Hello,

What would be the cheapest card to pay BF3 on high settings?
Because I might have to upgrade my whole system i don't want to spend more money then necessary on the GPU.
I don't care if it's an AMD or a NVIDIA card..

cuecuemore

Distinguished
I don't know what resolution you're running at, but preliminary benches came out today for the beta and what I've been saying all along has been confirmed: it's hard to have too much GPU for BF3. SO, I'd recommend going with a 2GB 6950 since it's in a good position as far as both performance and value.

Asmodis

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011

Well I must say I don't even know the resolution I'm running at home.. (I'm at work now) but it's a pretty new 24" Samsung monitor so.. :p I guess high ;)

cuecuemore

Distinguished
You're most likely at 1080p or maybe 19x12. If you can stand to wait until December, you'll be able to get 40% more for your money with the new generation of AMD cards and much lower power consumption to boot,

Asmodis

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011

Hehe thanks.. I guess 1080p indeed..
Well wainting until december isn't really an option.. pre-ordered the game so want to play it as fast as possible... going to order a new gpu and memory today so I can still enjoy the Beta ;)

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

As of right now it looks like the Nvidia cards are giving better performance with BF3 beta. I've read a few AMD card owners are seeing some low framerate. Keep in mind the game isn't even out yet and hopefully there will be more optimization on Nvidia and AMD cards.

Nvidia stated they had a 38% performance increase in framerate with their new drivers. That's huge! AMD didn't comment.

Btw this game is the most CPU usage I've seen in any game ever! Make sure you have a good CPU also or it will bottleneck ur system.

bdizzle11

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
You can find a 570 for around $300. Id go with that if you can afford it. Ive seen a review saying a guy could completely max out the game (AA and everything) with the 570.

Im on a 560Ti, i dont know about the BF3 engine, but except metro, i run everything on highest settings and i dont expirience any lag (bare in mine im using a q6600 on 3 ghz).

Metro i run high 1650x1080 high, tesselation on, DoF off 4AA.

After the game comes you we will still need to wait for game patches and driver optimizations to see the real performance in the game from the current gpus.