File sharing

Blackhawk3D

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
I am using an asante 10/100 network switch to share my internet connection from my Speedstream 5100B DSL modem. I have it setup so that one is assigned via the dhcp system the modem is supposed to use, and I am exploiting the router features (This modem/router was only meant to be used with one computer) by giving my other two computers network addresses on the same subnet so that it thinks there is only one computer (It will supply the internet to any computer, but won't send out more than one IP). Anyway, windows puts up a fit about being exposed to the internet if I allow file sharing between my computers since I didn't setup a server system (Now I don't have to rely on one computer being on for the other two etc.) The computers using the private addresses are completely stealth, no ports open to the world beyond the modem. The DHCP computer is setup normally so I can game. How can I allow file sharing without exposing myself?

Thanks,
Nathan

TheCh0s3n1

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
You can install a firewall on each computer. You will also have to add one computer's IP address into the other computer's firewall Trust Zone, and vice versa so that the file sharing isn't blocked.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Enabling filesharing wont expose anything to the outside world. Computers dont broadcast that they have an open share. No one outside your network is going to see your fileshare.
If you are extra paranoid just enable the windows firewall on the network card the modem is plugged into, that is good enough in most cases.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>