Another Kodak DX 4900 Battery prob/?

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 27, 2005 3:31:55 AM

I bought a DX4900 about 2 years ago. It seems to be a pretty good camera.
I originally bought the wall charger for the KAA2HR rechargable battery,
but if I put the batteries in the charger and forgot about them they would
charge, then eventually (I'm talking hours) the batteries would completely
drain down. So I thought, OK, I'll buy the Easyshare Dock II, maybe it'll
work better.

Nope. I've read what Ron Baird says about put the camera on the dock, take
it off for 5 min, put it on, etc... And that does eventually seem to
charge the battery up. I've read that it's best to just leave the camera
on the dock when not in use and use it every few days. If I go through the
on-off-on ordeal to get the battery charged and then leave the camera on
the dock 24 hours later the battery are completely dead. It worked that
way with the KAA2HR that came with the camera, and I even bought a second
KAA2HR thinking that the first was defective, but the second does the same.

So, 2 batteries, 2 different charging methods, and same results. What's
the deal?

Should I leave the camera on the charger or take it off, remove the battery
from the camera when not in use or take it out??

I recently traveled and borrowed a newer kodak from someone else. I had
that camera for almost a week and took about a 100 shots with flash, and
never even had a charger to plug into. It seems that even if the DX4900 is
older the charging stuff should work better.

Thanks for any advice.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 3:31:56 AM

Stephen Masraum via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> I bought a DX4900 about 2 years ago. It seems to be a pretty good camera.
> I originally bought the wall charger for the KAA2HR rechargable battery,
> but if I put the batteries in the charger and forgot about them they would
> charge, then eventually (I'm talking hours) the batteries would completely
> drain down. So I thought, OK, I'll buy the Easyshare Dock II, maybe it'll
> work better.
>
> Nope. I've read what Ron Baird says about put the camera on the dock, take
> it off for 5 min, put it on, etc... And that does eventually seem to
> charge the battery up. I've read that it's best to just leave the camera
> on the dock when not in use and use it every few days. If I go through the
> on-off-on ordeal to get the battery charged and then leave the camera on
> the dock 24 hours later the battery are completely dead. It worked that
> way with the KAA2HR that came with the camera, and I even bought a second
> KAA2HR thinking that the first was defective, but the second does the same.
>
> So, 2 batteries, 2 different charging methods, and same results. What's
> the deal?
>
> Should I leave the camera on the charger or take it off, remove the battery
> from the camera when not in use or take it out??
>
> I recently traveled and borrowed a newer kodak from someone else. I had
> that camera for almost a week and took about a 100 shots with flash, and
> never even had a charger to plug into. It seems that even if the DX4900 is
> older the charging stuff should work better.
>
> Thanks for any advice.

It sounds to me like you are ready for a newer camera. It may be that
the camera has a problem. I leave my DX6440 on the dock all the time,
and I got almost 250 shots before the batteries ran down on vacation
last year. That was with a LOT of view/review of the pictures since I
figured that an Alaskan Cruise was a 'once in a lifetime' thing. But my
wife is already agitating for another one...

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Well, yes, for quite some time I've wanted an EOS 10D, but since I don't
have an extra grand laying around :o ( and this is a decent camera (when it
works) that I paid $500 for I'd like it to work better. I suppose I could
just get a regular set of rechargable batteries and use those, but since I
have the dock it seems like there should be a secret to getting it to work
correctly.

Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:38:57 AM

So, has anyone noticed that leaving the camera on the Dock causes the
battery to run down??

April 28, 2005 6:10:42 AM

Stephen Masraum via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> So, has anyone noticed that leaving the camera on the Dock causes the
> battery to run down??

Since the dock is supposed to CHARGE the battery, if this is the case,
then either the dock is defective, the battery/charging mechanism in the
camera is defective, or you are turning the power to the dock off, with
the camera in it. DOn'T.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 4:42:27 PM

Well, I have the external battery charger. The kodak charger that charges
the battery separately. It does the same thing. I put the battery in, it
charges. If I forget that I'm charging and leave the battery in the
charger after the light comes on then the charger stops charging and
eventually discharges the battery.

I've got 2 batteries both do the same thing.

If I put the camera on the dock it'll charge. If I forget that it's on the
dock and it's there for several hours eventually (less than 24 hours) the
battery will completely discharge.

It's as if once the charger shuts off because it thinks the battery is
charged it never kicks back on if the batteries start to get low, and seems
to actually accelerate the rate of discharge.

2 different chargers, one with camera one without, 2 different batteries,
continuous power (not unplugging or turning off the charger).

April 28, 2005 4:42:28 PM

Stephen Masraum via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> Well, I have the external battery charger. The kodak charger that charges
> the battery separately. It does the same thing. I put the battery in, it
> charges. If I forget that I'm charging and leave the battery in the
> charger after the light comes on then the charger stops charging and
> eventually discharges the battery.
>
> I've got 2 batteries both do the same thing.
>
> If I put the camera on the dock it'll charge. If I forget that it's on the
> dock and it's there for several hours eventually (less than 24 hours) the
> battery will completely discharge.
>
> It's as if once the charger shuts off because it thinks the battery is
> charged it never kicks back on if the batteries start to get low, and seems
> to actually accelerate the rate of discharge.
>
> 2 different chargers, one with camera one without, 2 different batteries,
> continuous power (not unplugging or turning off the charger).

Something is wrong with either your chargers, the batteries, or the
camera (or maybe all three). My Kodak DX6440 remains on the charger all
the time unless it is in use, or I am traveling. It doesn't discharge
the batteries. They are always fully charged.
Maybe it is telling you it is time to buy a new camera. You will be
blown away by how much better the new ones are, and how much you can get
for the same price you paid for the old one.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 6:51:25 PM

Hi Stephen,

Sorry to hear about the trouble charging? NiMH batteries can be funny in
how they hold a charge, but your experiences are quite unusual and I suspect
something is draining the power. Your batteries should be charged and
remain charged for a while. They should deplete in 24 hours. In light of
that, you may want to have your camera checked to be sure all is normal.

Also, the Camera Dock is not a trickle charge type device so although it
will charge the battery fully, the battery may lose some power over time
(not 24 hours). What I do with my camera is leave it on the dock and every
week or so, pick it up, take a couple of pictures, then format the camera
and card, and return it to the dock. This causes the battery to again fully
charge and stay that way ready for me to use the camera.

I encourage you to have your camera reviewed to find out why the battery is
being so quickly depleted. Have you tried a different battery to see if that
battery will charge differently and hold that charge? Let me know.

Talk to you soon, Stephen,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Stephen Masraum via PhotoKB.com" <forum@nospam.PhotoKB.com> wrote in
message news:00a3496378104bea8ae07d558de6fd84@PhotoKB.com...
> I bought a DX4900 about 2 years ago. It seems to be a pretty good camera.
> I originally bought the wall charger for the KAA2HR rechargable battery,
> but if I put the batteries in the charger and forgot about them they would
> charge, then eventually (I'm talking hours) the batteries would completely
> drain down. So I thought, OK, I'll buy the Easyshare Dock II, maybe it'll
> work better.
>
> Nope. I've read what Ron Baird says about put the camera on the dock,
take
> it off for 5 min, put it on, etc... And that does eventually seem to
> charge the battery up. I've read that it's best to just leave the camera
> on the dock when not in use and use it every few days. If I go through
the
> on-off-on ordeal to get the battery charged and then leave the camera on
> the dock 24 hours later the battery are completely dead. It worked that
> way with the KAA2HR that came with the camera, and I even bought a second
> KAA2HR thinking that the first was defective, but the second does the
same.

> So, 2 batteries, 2 different charging methods, and same results. What's
> the deal?
>
> Should I leave the camera on the charger or take it off, remove the
battery
> from the camera when not in use or take it out??
>
> I recently traveled and borrowed a newer kodak from someone else. I had
> that camera for almost a week and took about a 100 shots with flash, and
> never even had a charger to plug into. It seems that even if the DX4900
is
> older the charging stuff should work better.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 6:59:49 PM

Stephen,

A review of the additional information you shared makes wonder if you charge
the camera then remove the camera does the battery hold a charge? If not
the batteries may have an issue. If they do hold a charge then it may be the
chargers although that would be very unusual to have two different charging
units and types do the same thing. If you charge the batteries then remove
them from the charger after an hour or so, or when you see that they are
full charged, check the batteries later to see if they are holding a charge.
If they are then it is the batteries? Not sure why that would happen to two
different batteries. If they both dishcarge in the camera then have your
camera checked.

Let me know your thoughts and what happens.

Talk to you soon,

!