Solved

Need some advice

Happy New Year. Currently I'm running 16gb (2x8gb) of Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series 1600mhz RAM with cas latency of 10. After a little experimenting I was able to get the cas latency down to 7 with 7-7-7-20 timing @ 1333mhz. I ran memtest for two hours and it came back with zero errors. CPU-Z says each stick is actually running at 671.1mhz for a total of 1342mhz. Should I be satisfied with my results or should I go with g.skill to see if I can achieve the same timings at a higher frequency? Currently Assassin's Creed III is running at 47 fps and Battlefield 3 is running at 60 fps.

Here's my setup:
AMD FX-6300
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
2 HD 7850's in crossfire
Kingston HyperX BLU Red Series 16gb (2x8gb)
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need advice
  1. I would be satisfied. It is not the ram that is your performance bottleneck rather the FX6300 what clock are you running it at?
  2. For the games as long as you have the 8GB RAM + good CPU + good GPU, then you can play them. RAM is not the important even if you OC the RAM.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,2778-8.html

For your games PC the AMD cup is your bottleneck, check the 86 CPUs revews
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-performance-comparison,3370.html
  3. I would be satisfied. Your peformance is fine
  4. The CPU clock is the only thing I haven't experimented with yet. Its running at 3.5Ghz with CPU Performance Boost enabled. This is my first build and I'm rather new to the concept of overclocking, so I just left the CPU at its stock settings. I'm running an air cooled system in an Antec Eleven Hundred with 9 120mm fans, a 200mm exhaust fan, and a NOCTUA NH-U12P SE2 CPU cooler.
  5. Best answer
    Overclocking an FX is done by changing the multiplier and since you got a aftermarket cooler it will give you way more boost than messing with ram timings.
  6. After I change the multiplier should I disable the CPU performance boost?
  7. Experiment with it.
  8. Best answer selected by andycal.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Kingston