PC Keeps Rebooting

Avanty

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Hello,

PC keeps rebooting and I do not know the cause. I built this PC about 3 years ago and it worked perfectly fine until last week. Could it be the motherboard or powersupply gone bad?

Spec:
Core 2 Q9450
OCZ 600W Powersupply
GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4 LGA 775

luc_skysmoker

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

Please help me i justg bought mine from cyber power 3 day ago and today it just stopped and when i trying to power up the computer run for 2 second then stop then power up again for 2 second and its an infinite loop.
Please help everything was fine ,I just overclocked my i7-2700k at 4.5ghz and only 1.36 vcore,I have a liquid cooling system and my cpu have never go more than 73 degree and it was only when running intelburner,the temperature is alway around 47-50 degree,I dont understand all help will be much appreciated.
Thank you

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

Could be a your OC. Reset your BIOS and attempt to post.

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

Do you have any temperature monitoring programs installed? If so, monitor the the temps up until the computer reboots and let us know what your temperatures are.

I also suggest that you re-seat your heatsink and install new thermal compound if you have not done so in quite some time.

Avanty

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I monitored the whole thing with CoreTemp, 3 core run at 35-40c average with 1 core at 32c, same temperature when it reboots. I can't even reformat either

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

Do you encounter the reboot whilst in BIOS?

Avanty

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011

Ran memtest for 5-6 minutes and it rebooted. I didnt see any errors though, also I hear some strange noises that the PC is making now, this was when I woke up to test it today.

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

Can you tell from were does that noise come from? Is it from the PSU? Also check the capacitators on your motherboard and see if you can find any blown up, though most of the times they just get a bit swollen but it is very easy to notice, all you have to do is see if any of them is beginning to open on the top.

Also... have you had any blue screens, if the answer is yes, the which was the bugcode? (the 8 digit hexadecimal number).

OCZ aint a bad brand in my opinion, far from the best by not bad at all, still can you tell me if that psu have active or passive pfc? Or any at all...

Avanty

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I checked the capacitors they all look fine none looks blown. The sound was actually the cd/dvd drive spinning with the memtest cd I inserted in, at first I thought it was coming from the motherboard. I don't know if its a passive or active pfc? No blue screen.

But now it seems that it having a hard time booting, sometimes it will reboot 3 consecutive times before the PC is at the login screen and once I login there it will last 5 minutes at most now.

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
I suggest using the "paperclip trick" on your PSU. Allow it to run for the time that it normally takes your computer to encounter the error. If the unit deactivates, then your PSU is at fault and needs to be replaced.

If you have never attempted this I strongly encourage you to properly research the "trick" as it can be quite dangerous if you were to touch the live paperclip.

There are also several PSU adapters such as this one that allow you to do the same thing without the threat of danger.

http://www.mountainmods.com/bitspower-24-pin-atx-always-on-connector-p-520.html

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
You say that the pc reboots even during the post, so i believe that we can completely exclude the possibility of a driver fault... So this is probably an hardware fault were talking about, falty psu's often result in sudden reboots, actually, as far as i can tell, apart from bsod's, falty psu's are the major cause to sudden reboots but there are plenty of other problems that can cause such problems though almost all (when it comes to hardware) are all related to energy problems like damaged drives or short circuits. But lets not get ahead of ourselves and try to pinpoint the problem.

The fact that your pc reboots even during the post "is an advantage for us" since you dont need to get to windows to test every time you make a change so you can disable some drives or all of them and just run the bios on startup and let it stay there for a while to see if the problem persists.

If i were you i would unplug all the cables from your hard drives, cd/dvd drives, take any device that it's not essential to the start up like sound cards, tv cards etc, even the graphics card in case you have an onboard you can use, also, use only one ram module, then just turn the pc on, go to the bios and let it stay there to see if the problem remains, if it does try switching the ram module or switching slot, if it still persists then its probably a motherboard problem, cpu or psu (i would bet on the psu), if the problem goes away, repeat the test as you install every device so when the problem comes back you'll know which device is malfunctioning.

And sorry for the bad english... :sweat: