PCI-E 3.0 GPU with a PCI-E 2.0 CPU

joker2000

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
I heard there is no loss in performance when it comes to a PCI-E 3.0 GPU with a PCI-E 2.0 CPU build. But then, there's so much talk about the new Ivy Bridge with the PCI-E 3.0 ready support. With that in mind, will IB be a major jump, merely from the perspective of the PCI-E 3.0 support?

Honestly there probably isn't going to be that much of a difference, because pcie 3.0 is such a new thing to us. Maybe in the next few years we will actually be able to take advantage of it.

triny

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
IB won't be a big change it's n incremental change not an iconic change
igp bump
clock bump
I wouldn't expect much more
Pci 3.0 has no usefulness at the moment

I'd rather have pcie-3 and not need it than not have it and find that older motherboards are not compatable with new pcie-3 cards, as has been the case with certain pcie1.x boards and 2.x gpu's. If your buying new now, why wouldn't you go for the latest tech available? the pcie-3 ready boards dont usually cost any more than the old models.

Ivy Bridge itself is what supports PCIe 3.0. You can get a non Gen3 mobo and it will support IB but not PCIe 3.0. You need a Gen 3 to support PCIe 3.0.

Actually PCIe 3.0 is a major change itself as it removed the requirement for 8b/10b encoding.

IB is showing around 1.5-2x the performance IGP and 10-15% better CPU performance.

Personally you can just go for a SB system now and be perfectly fine for the next 3-5 years.

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Considering that a PCIe 2.0 card running at 8x achieves 98-99% of the performance of the the same card running at X16, I don't see how it's possible that PCIe 3.0 will be any kind of game-changer for GPU performance. The one benchmark I saw on PCIe 3.0 showed a 0.15% increase in performance versus PCIe 2.0 in gaming benchmarks.

If benchmarks cannot show any significant improvement, it's just about impossible that there will be any perceptible improvement to the user experience.