Catastrophic Elements 3.0 failure

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
April 26, 2005 11:49:54 PM

Win 98 XP Home, 512 RAM, P3 Equiv processor, lots of hard disc space.
Have been using successive versions of Elements since it first appeared.
Virtually no problems till today:

3.0 refused to load, telling me I was short on memory. Checked system
monitors, seemed to be plenty. Rebooted. Same thing. Ran every utility
on my hard drive I could think of. Same thing. Used disc to repair
Elements. Same thing. Removed references to program in registry and
uninstalled completely. Now it will not reinstall. About half way
through the installation process its says "please install the disc: 1.
Used backup discs. Same problem.

Any ideas? My computer seems to be working very well otherwise.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:30:17 AM

In article <BsAbe.22453$Jg7.9064@fe03.lga>, Ron <rgood@netzero.com>
wrote:

> Win 98 XP Home, 512 RAM, P3 Equiv processor, lots of hard disc space.
> Have been using successive versions of Elements since it first appeared.
> Virtually no problems till today:
>
> 3.0 refused to load, telling me I was short on memory. Checked system
> monitors, seemed to be plenty. Rebooted. Same thing. Ran every utility
> on my hard drive I could think of. Same thing. Used disc to repair
> Elements. Same thing. Removed references to program in registry and
> uninstalled completely. Now it will not reinstall. About half way
> through the installation process its says "please install the disc: 1.
> Used backup discs. Same problem.
>
> Any ideas? My computer seems to be working very well otherwise.

Check the event log. You might find some information there that would
point to the cause of this problem.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:30:18 AM

Shawn Hearn wrote:
> In article <BsAbe.22453$Jg7.9064@fe03.lga>, Ron <rgood@netzero.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Win 98 XP Home, 512 RAM, P3 Equiv processor, lots of hard disc space.
>>Have been using successive versions of Elements since it first appeared.
>>Virtually no problems till today:
>>
>>3.0 refused to load, telling me I was short on memory. Checked system
>>monitors, seemed to be plenty. Rebooted. Same thing. Ran every utility
>>on my hard drive I could think of. Same thing. Used disc to repair
>>Elements. Same thing. Removed references to program in registry and
>>uninstalled completely. Now it will not reinstall. About half way
>>through the installation process its says "please install the disc: 1.
>>Used backup discs. Same problem.
>>
>>Any ideas? My computer seems to be working very well otherwise.
>

> Check the event log. You might find some information there that would
> point to the cause of this problem.

I am confused. Is 'Win 98 XP Home', WinXP home, or Win98? PSE3 won't
work on Windows release prior to Windows XP.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
April 27, 2005 8:12:06 AM

Ron wrote:
> Win 98 XP Home, 512 RAM, P3 Equiv processor, lots of hard disc space.
> Have been using successive versions of Elements since it first appeared.
> Virtually no problems till today:
>
> 3.0 refused to load, telling me I was short on memory. Checked system
> monitors, seemed to be plenty. Rebooted. Same thing. Ran every utility
> on my hard drive I could think of. Same thing. Used disc to repair
> Elements. Same thing. Removed references to program in registry and
> uninstalled completely. Now it will not reinstall. About half way
> through the installation process its says "please install the disc: 1.
> Used backup discs. Same problem.
>
> Any ideas? My computer seems to be working very well otherwise.

Hi...

Win 98 or win xp? :)

Just ideas; no more.

Suggest that the registry mods may be hindering your
re-installation... if not too late consider restoring
from before the changes you hand made....

Boot into safe mode; then un-install elements. Then
make sure that everything was indeed removed; even the
directory gone.

Run a virus checker; may be something using up resources.
If none available I'd recommend f-prot, the dos (freeware)
version from of course a dos prompt.

Run a spyware/malware checker. If none available recommend
ad-aware (freeware) and spybot (donation requested ware)
Use both.

Then try re-installing.

If still no luck, then as a semi-last resort you might try
(if you're using an agp card) reducing the aperture size.

As a last resort reduce the size of maxvcache.

Hope this helps a bit; let us know.

Ken
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:49:25 AM

Win XP Home per first words in message. Had worked fine for months. Am
doing most of what recommended in previous messages and will report
results. Fortunately, I have it working on another computer and so no
panic quite yet! Thanks for all the help.
April 27, 2005 12:27:28 PM

"RK" <rkgood@charter.net> wrote:

>Win XP Home per first words in message.

No, you said, "Win 98 XP Home,"

Have you installed any new software recently?

Wes