• Chipsets
  • Battery
  • BIOS
  • Flash
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
January 1, 2013 8:01:23 PM

Alright so I've updated my bios using the " flash " method. Was wondering is there anyway to roll it back to the stock factory bios ? I was looking at the method of removing the battery but not sure ?

Thanks guys!

More about : bios reset

a b V Motherboard
January 1, 2013 9:12:28 PM

dont think you can revert back without replacing the bios chip.

from another thread "Resetting the CMOS won't recover the previous BIOS version but it will reset your BIOS settings if that's the problem. Hopefully your BIOS chip has Boot Block protection and you made a backup of your old BIOS before flashing.

Why do you need to undo?
January 2, 2013 1:55:35 AM

I'm assuming it's the asrock mobo in your signature? Have you tried to simply go to their website, download a different bios version for your board and flash it manually? If asrock only allows a forward upgrade some flashtools also have a command-line version and support for a "/force" command to expedite this very task. One can also trick a mobo that has a bios recovery mode, but we can cover that if nothing else works.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 2, 2013 3:51:30 PM

This is for the AsRock 990FX Extreme3 Motherboard. Not sure what to do , I need to undo it as the new bios flash is causing me problems with my ram meaning my PC randomly freezes when browsing etc.

Try find a solution for me please thanks !
January 2, 2013 11:14:01 PM

I take it a downgrade is not supported? In what method do the Asrock boards upgrade (boot into flash tool, or windows flashtool?) Check your documentation, because my MSI board has a disaster recovery mode where I can flash a new bios via usb pre-POST.
a b V Motherboard
January 2, 2013 11:25:09 PM

I boot into the flashtool and did it from my bios ( put new bios on usb ). I'm thinking of buying a new bios chip off eBay programmed with older bios or send it into the company I got it off for them to fix it? The chip is £10 & to send it to them is about £9. Is it safer to send it to them ? I'll have to pay postage back if nothing is wrong though.

Thanks
January 3, 2013 12:45:30 AM

That's a little beyond me... Are the flash chips easily removable? Contact Asrock. Install a newer firmware, even if it's beta.
a c 519 V Motherboard
January 3, 2013 12:51:27 AM

You should be able to flash the BIOS with any previous version to bring it back to what you originally had, if that is what you're asking. If you simply want to reset it to factory default of the current BIOS, you can do that within the BIOS setup.
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2013 12:58:13 AM

How is that possible? Any instructions? Thank you
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2013 1:06:53 AM

I'm talking about the as rock 990fx extreme3 mothebroard . I only see a flash utility option in the BIOS nothing about flashback.
January 3, 2013 3:37:15 AM

I mentioned this. One can MANUALY download and flash an old BIOS...
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2013 12:34:19 PM

& How Do I manually flash the bios ? Also @clutchc the motherboard I have problems with is the AsRock 990FX Extreme3 Not the Extreme9 X79.
a c 519 V Motherboard
January 3, 2013 1:10:03 PM

ihsaan96 said:
& How Do I manually flash the bios ? Also @clutchc the motherboard I have problems with is the AsRock 990FX Extreme3 Not the Extreme9 X79.

Sorry about the wrong link. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how that happened... :??: 
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX%20Extreme3/?cat=Down...

You would roll back your BIOS the same way you would update your BIOS; either using DOS, the Windows Utility usually provided on the motherboard disk, or with the Instant Flash utility Asrock has. You simply use the BIOS file of your choosing selected from the links on the Asrock site I sent. If you are unfamiliar with those options, you may want to do a bit of reading first.
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2013 1:11:48 PM

So I just do the same thing as updating my bios ?
a c 519 V Motherboard
January 3, 2013 1:15:55 PM

ihsaan96 said:
So I just do the same thing as updating my bios ?

Correct. And be sure nothing interrupts the process until it is finished.

May I ask why you want to roll it back?
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2013 1:18:31 PM

Mate you are actually a genius! I didn't know you can just roll back your bios by installing the old one , I thought it wouldn't let me. I would of had to send my whole motherboard off just to fix my little problem. Also the reason I want to roll it back is because after updating to the latest bios my ram has been unstable and wouldn't let me run it at full speed ( 1866Mhz or 2000Mhz ). Now hopefully the problem is gone.

Thanks a lot mate :) 
a c 519 V Motherboard
January 3, 2013 1:26:26 PM

One other thing. You probably already know this, but you'll have to re-enter BIOS setup and change everything back to your desired settings. Have a great day.
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2013 1:49:41 PM

Yeah thanks mate. Hopefully my system is stable now & no crashes. Now just need to sort out my faulty GPU which I got as an RMA Grrrr
a c 519 V Motherboard
January 3, 2013 1:56:05 PM

2 bad cards in a row? Not unheard of, but rare.
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2013 2:11:30 PM

Yuup two bad cards in a row from XFX. Bought the XFX Radeon 6790 & It had a faulty capacitor and would make a high pitch noise. Now my 2nd card has a faulty pixelator ( from what I can see ) and crashes my display randomly. They won't even offer me a free upgrade etc just free case badge and stickers haha.

Thanks though :) 
January 3, 2013 7:11:18 PM

I really don't understand this. Did I not advise you to do the same thing? Perhaps it was less wordy...
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2013 9:19:35 PM

tjs4ever said:
I really don't understand this. Did I not advise you to do the same thing? Perhaps it was less wordy...

Sorry mate I thought you were talking about a different way , as in not just simply overwriting it that's why I asked how you're meant to do it. Thanks for the advice though :) 
!