Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard graphics card support?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 28, 2011 1:55:54 PM

hey Guys,
I could do with a bit of help regarding the installation of a ASUS AMD HD 6950 Direct CU2 fitted to ASUS M5A78L-M LE motherboard. problem is i cannot get video output using both DVI to VGA or DVI to HDMI adapters anybody up on this please
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2011 2:34:05 PM

Can you get any display from it at all?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2011 3:21:52 PM

what is the Model of your PSU, what monitor do you have ?
are you trying to connect it with a direct VGA/DVI/HDMI connection cable ? or you only using adapters ?
Related resources
September 28, 2011 4:26:24 PM

ok tks for trying to help guys 1, PSU is G7 950 Watts modular monitor is combi
tv/pc , choices for VGA, S Video, Scart , 2, card options for connection are: display port , VGA, Single Link DVI, Duel Link DVI . 3, monitor will connect to on board graphic card direct VGA to VGA ,but as soon as i switch to 6950 and try to use adapters for DVI to VGA or DVI to HDMI no joy , won't even take monitor off standby. any idea's, as what is left of my hair is being ripped out fast.
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2011 4:35:55 PM

We know what the options for connections are for the card.

What connections have you tried and which ones work?
September 28, 2011 4:36:47 PM

ilysaml said:
what is the Model of your PSU, what monitor do you have ?
are you trying to connect it with a direct VGA/DVI/HDMI connection cable ? or you only using adapters ?

Hi Ilysaml, I note that your motherboard and card are same as mine so obviously no compatabillity probs how are you connected up? . I basically took the card out of the box plugged it into the pci*16 slot (the dark blue one) connected the molex to 6 pin and thats it , have I missed something
mate.
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2011 4:39:45 PM

Did you download the drivers?
September 28, 2011 4:44:46 PM

purple stank said:
We know what the options for connections are for the card.

What connections have you tried and which ones work?

Hi Purple Stank , To answer your questions 1 no can't get no signal to the monitor at all. 2 connections I have tried have been by the two adapters mentioned, tks for trying to help mate
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2011 4:51:04 PM

Ian_46 said:
Hi Ilysaml, I note that your motherboard and card are same as mine so obviously no compatabillity probs how are you connected up? . I basically took the card out of the box plugged it into the pci*16 slot (the dark blue one) connected the molex to 6 pin and thats it , have I missed something
mate.

so you have a 890fxa-ud5 ? anyway you didn't answer any of my questions....
you're connecting a molex adapter ? don't you have a direct 6 pin from your PSU ?
September 28, 2011 4:52:21 PM

well I got A disk with the card with all the drivers on it , have tried to load the drivers off this disk whilst running onboard graphics but it crashes presumably because the disk is genetic and only wants to load drivers pertaining to the card and the windows 7 operating system and crashes because it cant see the card.
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2011 4:52:35 PM

Have you tried just using a single DVI or VGA connection to the monitor?(Without any of the adapters)
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2011 4:53:22 PM

Ian_46 said:
well I got A disk with the card with all the drivers on it , have tried to load the drivers off this disk whilst running onboard graphics but it crashes presumably because the disk is genetic and only wants to load drivers pertaining to the card and the windows 7 operating system and crashes because it cant see the card.

Try disabling the on board graphics in the BIOS.It should run off of the card then by default.
September 28, 2011 4:56:50 PM

yes I do have a six pin from the PSU but it has all six pins , the one that came it the card box is molex at one end and 6 pin the other but only five of the six pins used so did not dare come from psu to card direct
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2011 4:59:49 PM

what is the model of your PSU ? please list all your system specs so that we can help you...
September 28, 2011 5:02:12 PM

purple the problem is ont the tv/monitor there is only VGA , on the card only DVI so I cannot connect without thwe use of an adapter
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2011 5:11:03 PM

Ian_46 said:
purple the problem is ont the tv/monitor there is only VGA , on the card only DVI so I cannot connect without thwe use of an adapter

so use the DVI to VGA dongle included with the GPU , also if there's no supply of power to the card you won't get a signal on the screen that's why i'm asking for the model of the PSU....

here is very important tip, after you press the power button press on the Num Lock button in the KB if it lights up and goes off as you press, so you have a cable problem but if the num lock doesn't light and no beebs coming out from the pc you might have a conflict

Edit : don't use a molex to 6 pin adapter use the direct 6 pin from the PSU to the GPU... and i guess you already know it (the one looks like the end of the molex adapter)
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2011 5:25:39 PM

OP said in previous post that has a 950watt PSU.

That PSU should have plenty and all the proper connectors you need for the GPU(6pin and a 6+2 pin)
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2011 5:56:06 PM

purple stank said:
OP said in previous post that has a 950watt PSU.

That PSU should have plenty and all the proper connectors you need for the GPU(6pin and a 6+2 pin)

it's HD 6950, only 2 × 6 pin PCI Express, no 8 pin needed.
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2011 6:57:40 PM

Lol I've been doing that all week.Totally forgot.

Either way a 950 watt PSU should/will have all the PCI-Express connectors you need.You shouldn't have to use a molex.
September 28, 2011 8:36:23 PM

tks guys, we can put this thread to bed now, have sussed it, the problem was the fact that the eight pin on this psu supply comes as six +two, and somehow I had not put the two in properly, or dislodged it but anyhow , job done. ps I am now the proud owner of a windows rated 7.3 machine whooope
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2011 8:40:18 PM

that's what i said on the Edited previous post, anyway glad to hear that everything okay
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2011 9:04:56 PM

Good to hear.Glad you got it all sorted out.
September 29, 2011 10:22:48 AM

ok tks for the help guys,
!