P8Z68-VPro/Gen onboard CPU light on will not boot

bigdog009

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Hello, I have a Asus P8Z68- Pro/Gen 3 with illuminated CPU lite. I have double checked memory after reviewing about 10 posts. The unit will not boot to video. No beeps, no codes just CPU running, TPU and EPU lites (green illuminated). I had read about a grouding issue on the motherboard with the CPU. Is there any merit to this?

Since I cannot get to the stage to load or run any utility software, I am in a pinch.

quick check...one ram dimm...mb brass standoff used??? 4/8 pin atx power plug connected..make sure it the 4/8 pin atx power and not a 6 by 2 pci power for your video card. check your video card make sure all the power plugs are filled. check the case cables are on the right pins...mb not stuck in reset mode. check cmos reset jumper on the right pins or is there.

bigdog009

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013

I cannot get to the stage to load BIOS information. System will not boot at all. only power up and sit thier like a lump of %%%#$.

the mb should sit about one inch higher then the mb tray. if not it going to short itself out. take a flashlight and look at the back of the mb make sure the mb and cpu cooler are not grounded out. last thing to check is for bent pins under the cpu.

bigdog009

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013

removed back cover from case. checked for clearance. Ample clearance. the only thing touching is the mother board mount studs. I insulated them with silicone along with the screw threads.

I had removed the processor and it "seemed" to be free of errors but I will take a magnifying glass and inspect it more closely. I double checked the 4 pin plug for proper installation along with the ATX power connector. I removed RAM and rechecked mounts for any visible defects.

Still have the CPU light illuminated.

bigdog009

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Pulled CPU inspected CPU contact surface no visible damage (bent /crushed) did see a light blue tint on three three micro chips but I do not think it is a problem. Inspected mother board CPU mount surface I could not detect any bent or crushed pins. visual inspection cw with magnifying glass.

I am wondering if the CPU locking mount could cause this issue if it it grounded. I saw a plastic sheet material under the two aft (toward the top of the board) underneath the mount. It tool me a year to do this because I was in college full time and working full time when I bought the hardware etc...

Do you have any other ideas.
I do want to pass along that I do appreciate your assistance.

look at the serial number on the mb. the last number are the bios number of the mb. per asus cpu guild the bios need to be 3402 for the mb to post with your cpu. if it lower then you have a few option. one is see if a friend or a computer store has a older cpu that on the mb cpu list to post. post the mb then flash it. contact the vendor and send it to them to update the bios.
if it still under 30 days return the mb for a model that can post with that cpu or se if you can exchange it with a mb wit hthe newest bios.

bigdog009

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013

SO how so I post and flash use a older CPU then flash it via usb?
To make this so I can understand it. The processor os newer then the MOBO. SO I either upgrade the MOBO or go to a legacy processor? Is that correct? I just want to be clear of what is needed.

bigdog009

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013

Thank you for the assistance. I also reviewed the database for my mobo and it calls for 0301 or higher which fits my board As you can see I am working with to entities on this problem and I do appreciate it. keep the information coming.

bigdog009

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013

I reviewed the database that Alexoiu sent and it states 0301 and I have a 3202. I am working with two entities on this issue and I appreciate all of the input. Please do not stop. multiple resources are better than 1.

SO I ask the both of you where next if the database is correct? I am miffed. If a newer MOBO is needed, which one would be suitable to replace the existing V pro Gen3 ?

have you tried removing the mb and posting it with it sitting on top of the mb box. i seen where sometime the screws set with a mb case short out mb or the i\o shield does. also it happens make sure the 24 pin atx cable is all the way in and locked. also make sure the 4/8 pin atx power plug is connected. on some power supply modular there a 6 plus 2 cable. this cable will fit into the 8 pin atx power on the mb but it for video cards. the right plug is a 4 plus 4 cable. some asus mb and cosair power supplys people have hard time fitting the 8 pin cable in and have to use only 4 of the 8 pins. per asus and other vendors that fine to do.

bigdog009

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
used electrical tape to insulate mobo mounts. rechecked installation of all connectors. no boot. I still get the led CPU light. :pt1cable:

I have noticed on the 20 pin connector that one pin slot is empty on the connector harness from the case. positioned as follows;

looking from the side facing away from the CPU and Memory ( connector locking device side third from end toward TPU switch) this position is excluding the 4 pin connector pins. The mobo shows that that position requires -5 volts. I am not versed in the wiring protocols.

The power supply is a Cool MAX CUL-750B is that makes a difference. The missing pin bothers me I guess I am grasping for straws.

Have you heard of this board having issues like this?

bigdog009

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Well. I first want to express my thanks for your efforts. My stupidity preceeds me some times. The 4/8 connector was not installed correctly. I assumed it was. Once I corrected that everything works fantastic. The board is awsome. Again thank you.