Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Fan controller for a bazillian fans

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
February 26, 2012 3:15:36 PM

My build will use 17 fans .. 13 of which are in a dual rx 480 rad box . the other 4 are intake and exhaust .. 140 mm a2 intake and 120mm x 2 exhaust . I want a single fan controller for the lot . Is there one on the market that will allow me to run say all the rad fans on 1 or two ( forget the term .... Lanes ? ) and the rest on the remaining ? :??: 
a b ) Power supply
February 26, 2012 3:29:07 PM

17 fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you dont need a fan controller you need straps to tie it down or its likely to take off

you could daisy chain them i suppose

seen a controller or 2 that can take 50w a channel--if anything can run that many fans then that

should

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/nzxt-sentry-mix-led-illu...
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
February 26, 2012 3:44:44 PM

Only 17? Pfft :-)
Can't link atm as on phone, but I'm sure I've seen a Scythe 12 channel one somewhere, that would do most of them, or two would leave you room for more fans in the future :) 
Moto
m
l
Related resources
a c 104 ) Power supply
February 26, 2012 3:50:12 PM

Another option would be to chain all the radbox ones on two lines, each going to a variable resistor/potentiometer, mount those somewhere handy, then from them straight to a molex line from the psu each, so as not to overload any one molex line
Moto
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
February 26, 2012 3:51:22 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Only 17? Pfft :-)
Can't link atm as on phone, but I'm sure I've seen a Scythe 12 channel one somewhere, that would do most of them, or two would leave you room for more fans in the future :) 
Moto

you mean this one?

scythe kaze q12

http://www.xoxide.com/scythe-kazeq-12fancontrollerblack...
a b ) Power supply
February 26, 2012 4:35:14 PM

I like the looks of the scythe . though 12 channels may be overkill . My rad box on the afor mentioned rx 480 is a lateral set up -> fan-rad-fan-rad-fan -> . so I could either have 3 channels with four fans on each or four channels with three fans depending on the amount of juice each channel can handle . also I'm liking the http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12869/fan-841/BitFeni... see any compatability issues ??
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 26, 2012 4:48:44 PM

what about these fans?

have them in my raven rv02--though not the led version

love the way the leds seem to spread the light more evenly over all the blades instead of just

looking like 3 or 4 lines of light

take it the leds must be in the hub not the outside of the fan frame

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=18701...

m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
February 26, 2012 5:42:04 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
you mean this one?

scythe kaze q12

http://www.xoxide.com/scythe-kazeq-12fancontrollerblack...

Aye, believe that was the one :) 
I'm going for a cheapish option, one that controls eight fans and has four temp sensors built in, and the other just a normal eight channel like the one I already modded into the build
I would go for four channels of three fans, just to lower the load
although it would be nice to be able to control each set of four as well, more playing with the airflow possibilities hehe
lower the internal two banks to create a small vacuum and blast the two banks on the outerside to full,
I intend to aim for all fans on minimum for everyday use, maybe play with warp speed when the Gf's not home 25 fans all giving it hell, can't wait hehe :) 
Moto
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 26, 2012 9:57:27 PM

yah I was thinking the same thing about the middle bank of fans for two reasons : A.. the vaccum effect you mentioned and 2.. why led's when there not seen
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
February 26, 2012 10:40:29 PM

I wouldn't put led fans in there unless you are making it so they could be seen, grills/mesh section etc,
I'm not a led fan guy personally, but have seen some nice builds with them, matter of taste/preference I guess :-)
Moto
m
l
a c 110 ) Power supply
February 26, 2012 11:34:45 PM

I want to see a build log for this one.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
February 27, 2012 12:02:49 AM

Mine or Rufus'?
You know there will be one for mine hehe :-)
A build log is probably 20% of the fun
Moto
m
l
February 27, 2012 12:12:05 AM

I'd like to see a Db reading on this rig. A standard 12'X16' room with 2 people talking isn't all that loud. Get 17 people in there all talking at the same time and you have a noise situation.

Pump UP the volume!
m
l
a c 110 ) Power supply
February 27, 2012 2:15:56 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Mine or Rufus'?
You know there will be one for mine hehe :-)
A build log is probably 20% of the fun
Moto

Waiting to see how you did the top mounting :ange:  and rufus build log also ;) 
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
February 27, 2012 5:15:23 AM

when I get the rads, I'll do a mockup of how a single would've been mounted over the 240, probably as part of the build log though
@Delroy, our room is 5,4"x9feet with two Pc desks in it, on minimum fan speed my rigs really silent, if you trust android spl apps, I'll measure using one and post numbers,
Moto
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 27, 2012 9:40:31 AM

The led rows of four are on the inlet and ehaust locations ( with black aluminium mod mesh ) so they are visable I will start takin pics and put together a log . Rad box done in like to weeks . Just because of waiting on mats ..
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
February 27, 2012 2:26:00 PM

Nice :-)
Glad to see theres a log in the works too :-)
Its making me itchy for mine to get underway hehe
Moto
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 8, 2012 9:30:28 AM

Best answer selected by rufus_22.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
March 8, 2012 3:38:29 PM

Thank you for B.a. man, hope to see the build soon