Pciex4 and pciex16

hey, i have 2 video card slots on my motherboard in the motherboard book they both say pci express x16 but in brackets one has PCIEX4 and one has PCIEX16 i dont get it what does this mean are they the same speed?
15 answers Last reply
More about pciex4 pciex16
  1. no they are not. PCIE x16 should be your top slot used for gaming for your card. if you were to run a dual card setup, the 2nd card would be running in the other slot at x4 and not x16 which could impact performance. If you plan on a single card solution, then you wont have any problem using the x16 slot and being happy. you were correct in assuming it is the " speed" of the slot
  2. Nope, not the same speed, the x16 is obviously a lot faster. It has to do with bandwith. Not an expert on that, somebody else will probably explain that better.
    I think tough that when you use them both the second one will run with x4.
  3. GreenDutchAlien said:
    Nope, not the same speed, the x16 is obviously a lot faster. It has to do with bandwith. Not an expert on that, somebody else will probably explain that better.
    I think tough that when you use them both the second one will run with x4.

the x4 wont transfer as much data as fast; just like having a 128 bit interface vs 256 on a video card
  4. What he says.
  5. You type faster than i do, confusing this.
  6. No, they aren't the same speed, the 2nd one is physically an x16 slot, but electrically an x4 slot. A true x4 slot would be shorter so they call it an x16 slot even though it only has the pins for an x4 slot.
  7. ok thanks i was looking into getting a 2nd 5770 but that seems pointless ill just upgrade.
  8. a single card solution will do you just fine. the 5770 xfire is approx as fast as a single 5870, which the 6870 is very affordable, and performs very well in its price range with improved tesselation support.
  9. The 4X slot is enough for a 5770...

You may lose a point or 2 over a 16X slot but nothing to worry about. There are a few articles about this here on Tom's.
  10. I would still go single card solution over a xfire 5770. now if it was a 460 then thats an easy decision.
  11. I don't think 5770s had all that great of crossfire scaling anyways, and they are still around 100 bucks. I think you would be better off replacing if you feel you need to upgrade already.
  12. what is your budget? oh and your psu?
  13. 650 watt psu looking to spend no more than 200
  14. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127560
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127592
    these are the two best cards from either manufacturer in that price range, they are both very good performers for their price range. If you can bump up your budget a little you can get the 560Ti, which is the sweet spot right now for mid ranged bang
  15. i know this thread is old but on my BIOS im trying to tell my system to recognise my Graphics card in the X16 slot but it only gives me the 2 options of the system recognising the card in the X4 slot or the X1 slot any idea on how to make it recognise the X16 slot

Specs:
    Gigabyte Z77 D3H Motherboard
    XFX Radeon HD 7770 1GB Graphics card
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Motherboards PCI Express Graphics Product