Compatability ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chazz111bravo

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Solution
Sorry but I can tell just from the mobo picture, well and the model. All of the M4s from Asus were AM3 mobos, not AM3+. The FX series will only work on AM3+, while Phenom II/Athlon II will work on AM2+/AM3/AM3+.

The best way to tell if your mobo can support a FX, besides the CPU chart from Asus, is the color of the socket. If its white, it wont. If its black it will.

Looks like the best CPU you can get your wife is a Phenom II X6 1100T, and honestly thats a better performer than the FX 6 core anyways.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106012

Same price and overall it will perform better. Remember the FX series are not full cores. They have modules which act as about 90% of a full core overall. So the 6 core is...
Sorry but I can tell just from the mobo picture, well and the model. All of the M4s from Asus were AM3 mobos, not AM3+. The FX series will only work on AM3+, while Phenom II/Athlon II will work on AM2+/AM3/AM3+.

The best way to tell if your mobo can support a FX, besides the CPU chart from Asus, is the color of the socket. If its white, it wont. If its black it will.

Looks like the best CPU you can get your wife is a Phenom II X6 1100T, and honestly thats a better performer than the FX 6 core anyways.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106012

Same price and overall it will perform better. Remember the FX series are not full cores. They have modules which act as about 90% of a full core overall. So the 6 core is more like a Phenom II X4 in performance than it is a Phenom II X6.

Solution

chazz111bravo

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

No offense I hope you're wrong. I just spoke to fry's and their expecting a shipment. Every other vendor I've checked says theyre on back order. Even new egg has it on auto notify. I hope they have some left and are just bogged down shipping everything out.

chazz111bravo

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Yeah baby! After "panning for gold" believe me it was like that. I scoured the world of google's reputable vendors and 3 days later Scored an AM3 1100t from vendor in CA. There last one for 298.00 delivered. Shipped yesterday. Compared to what the gouging asshat's on ebay are screwing people for a beat up pos 1100t. I'm very pleased. Side note I looked over the info that amd had for am3's on their compatability page before making this post. It didnt look like they updated it that often. they dont even post on their own forum's. but they do elsewhere? How efffed up is that? So I was hoping for an answer from the community here. And not only that get a real review at the same time. Thanks a ton guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.