Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrade?

Last response: in Components
Share
February 26, 2012 6:17:17 PM

Hey guys,
I built a system about 4 months ago and now have money I would like to spend to upgrade. About $200. What would be the best upgrade for me at this point?
Mobo: ASUS p8z68 pro
CPU: i5 2500k stock CPU cooler
GPU: HD 6870
PSU: CoolerMaster 750w
Hard Drive: 1 tb Seagate Barracuda
Asus Optical drive
Razer Blackwidow
Some standard mouse
26" Sharp tv and a 21 asus monitor
Thanks in advance :) 

More about : upgrade

February 26, 2012 6:51:38 PM

Buy this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Then overclock that sucker. :) 

You forgot to list what kind/amount of RAM you have. That can depend on my answer. Make sure you have at least 8 GB of RAM.

Otherwise, for the money your system is perfectly fine at the moment. Save the rest of your money to eventually upgrade your GPU.
February 26, 2012 6:57:54 PM

Yes, get that Cooler Master Hyper212 EVO. And maybe think about CrossFire your HD 6870?
Related resources
February 26, 2012 8:14:11 PM

Thanks for the help. I have 8 gigs of ram so I should be fine. I've never over clocked before. Any ideas where to start?
February 26, 2012 10:50:32 PM

Just look up a guide for overclocking the 2500K, there are plenty out there. I would shoot for a moderate clock of 4.4 Ghz, then slowly work your way up from there. :) 
February 27, 2012 8:14:34 AM

sell the i5 2500k, combine the money made to your cash on hand, and get an i7 2600k?? Instead of overclocking, your i7 2600k stock will match the i5 2500k overclocked, and with the remaining money purchaser the cooler suggested above, or better and overclock that :) 
Anonymous
February 27, 2012 8:22:41 AM

azed3000 said:
sell the i5 2500k, combine the money made to your cash on hand, and get an i7 2600k?? Instead of overclocking, your i7 2600k stock will match the i5 2500k overclocked, and with the remaining money purchaser the cooler suggested above, or better and overclock that :) 


lol
February 27, 2012 9:04:56 AM

Grab a 120Gb SSD, that would speed up your OS.
February 27, 2012 9:09:46 AM

azed3000 said:
sell the i5 2500k, combine the money made to your cash on hand, and get an i7 2600k?? Instead of overclocking, your i7 2600k stock will match the i5 2500k overclocked, and with the remaining money purchaser the cooler suggested above, or better and overclock that :) 


...

Incorrect.
February 27, 2012 6:04:19 PM

A 2600K is a waste of money for gaming. That is horrible advice.
March 8, 2012 11:31:20 PM

Are you kidding me? Look at the benchmarks for both these cpus
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
The 2600k shits on a 2500k, and im pretty sure chinrichs didnt mention that he uses his computer for gaming. And even if he was gaming, a 2600k would still be a better upgrade than overclocking a 2500k, cause all thats going to do is just match the factory 2600ks benchmark but run with a super high voltage. Also he mentioned he doesnt know how to overclock, so its a safer option
Anonymous
March 9, 2012 1:14:01 AM

azed3000 said:
Are you kidding me? Look at the benchmarks for both these cpus
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
The 2600k shits on a 2500k, and im pretty sure chinrichs didnt mention that he uses his computer for gaming. And even if he was gaming, a 2600k would still be a better upgrade than overclocking a 2500k, cause all thats going to do is just match the factory 2600ks benchmark but run with a super high voltage. Also he mentioned he doesnt know how to overclock, so its a safer option


Jesus Christ, you looked up one cpu benchmark and you think you know what you're talking about?, stop embarrassing yourself.
March 9, 2012 2:44:40 AM

Quote:
Jesus Christ, you looked up one cpu benchmark and you think you know what you're talking about?, stop embarrassing yourself.

Aight man whats your problem, i was just making a suggestion, cause the dude wanted to make an upgrade, and 2600k is obviously a better cpu all round than a 2500k, What have i said wrong? i was suggesting another alternative and proved my point that a 2600k is indeed more superior than 2500k using the passmark website. If you want to prove that im wrong show me a benchmark or something where the 2500k is better than the 2600k. I can tell you for certain a 2600k is 30% better in all cpu related tasks.
March 9, 2012 3:46:43 AM

To improve you system .....for game ...is crossfire the HD 6870....

your CPU is not your bottleneck...
Add a SSD will increase your boot up speed...

you may gain better FPS and quality in gaming
Anonymous
March 9, 2012 6:08:51 AM

azed3000 said:
Aight man whats your problem, i was just making a suggestion, cause the dude wanted to make an upgrade, and 2600k is obviously a better cpu all round than a 2500k, What have i said wrong? i was suggesting another alternative and proved my point that a 2600k is indeed more superior than 2500k using the passmark website. If you want to prove that im wrong show me a benchmark or something where the 2500k is better than the 2600k. I can tell you for certain a 2600k is 30% better in all cpu related tasks.


The 2600k is better than the 2500k only with very heavily threaded tasks because of HT and the extra 2 mb cache. I agree that the OP has never stated that he would use the computer for gaming, but on the other hand he has never stated that he would use it for tasks where the 2600k would give him an advantage.

Recommending someone to sell their 4 month i5-2500k at a lose and then spending $100 extra on the i7-2600k is not good advice anyway you look at it. When upgrading your pc you want to add not replace if possible considering the loss you would take selling a used pc part.

There are some pretty good indications that he uses the PC for gaming,

-He probably would have bought an i7 if he needed it for heavily threaded work

-He stated that he has 8gb and doesn't need anymore ram.

-He spent $100 dollars on a gaming keyboard.

-He went with ATI over NVIDIA (cuda cores are better for graphical design).

March 9, 2012 7:56:07 AM

tobensg said:
Grab a 120Gb SSD, that would speed up your OS.

Best advice so far in my opinion. It will speed up games & any applications that reside on it as well.

March 9, 2012 12:41:51 PM

Quote:
The 2600k is better than the 2500k only with very heavily threaded tasks because of HT and the extra 2 mb cache. I agree that the OP has never stated that he would use the computer for gaming, but on the other hand he has never stated that he would use it for tasks where the 2600k would give him an advantage.

Recommending someone to sell their 4 month i5-2500k at a lose and then spending $100 extra on the i7-2600k is not good advice anyway you look at it. When upgrading your pc you want to add not replace if possible considering the loss you would take selling a used pc part.

There are some pretty good indications that he uses the PC for gaming,

-He probably would have bought an i7 if he needed it for heavily threaded work

-He stated that he has 8gb and doesn't need anymore ram.

-He spent $100 dollars on a gaming keyboard.

-He went with ATI over NVIDIA (cuda cores are better for graphical design).


Yea that's a fair point, ill agree with you on that =) Come to think of it, my advice was pretty ***. Didnt think it through, yea i would probs go with the SSD or another 6870, not sure what the power consumption is on the 6870s though, hope the 750 watt psu is up for it.
!