Sign in with
Your question

RAM Problem

Last response: in Memory
January 2, 2013 7:01:29 AM

My Computer uses DDR2 Ram, its a HP Pavilion a1340n, it has 2 RAM slots. It has already one gig of RAM,, Came with a Micron Tech PC2-4300 DDR2 Ram stick though a onboard gpu uses a bit of it, so i decided to add another gig of RAM. I bought a PNY PC2-5300 DDR2 single Channel 1 gig of RAM. Now CPU-Z says that I have both Sticks install, Its reading them. Though 960MB of Ram is only physical ("My Computer"-> Right click -> Properties.) Im running on Windows XP SP3 34-bit

I need to know why computer isnt using the ram that I inserted

I checked both stick one at a time and they all worked and in each slot as well and wondering if it will work out good.

Another question I want to add a Video Card to this computer :EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1 GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA Graphics Card, 01G-P3-1302-LR

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049MPQA4/ref=s9_simh...

thanks!

More about : ram problem

January 2, 2013 7:12:35 AM

It's typically not a very good idea to be mixing and matching RAM modules together as you can run into problems, have you tried looking in the BIOS to see how much RAM is being listed there?

As for the video card, I WOULD NOT buy it, that card is from around 4 or 5 years ago and even then it was only an entry level piece of hardware. Let me look on newegg real quick, how much were you willing to spend on the graphics card like 50?
m
l
January 2, 2013 7:18:33 AM

trumpeter1994 said:
It's typically not a very good idea to be mixing and matching RAM modules together as you can run into problems, have you tried looking in the BIOS to see how much RAM is being listed there?

As for the video card, I WOULD NOT buy it, that card is from around 4 or 5 years ago and even then it was only an entry level piece of hardware. Let me look on newegg real quick, how much were you willing to spend on the graphics card like 50?

Well this computer is fairly old as well umm somewhere around there, now I dont think my computer support "dual Channel" so I have no Idea on how to update the RAM, On BIOS it says that One slot has RAM while theres none on the 2nd slot. Though CUP-z says otherwise. Any tips on what I can do?
m
l
Related resources
January 2, 2013 7:21:54 AM

Which stick is the BIOS not picking up? You should be able to figure out with CPU-Z which module is in which slot as it will tell you the manufacture under the SPD tab.
m
l
January 2, 2013 7:31:46 AM

Okay On Bios it said the memory Bank 2 was not installed which is the Stock RAM stick and Bank 1 is installed with 1024KB Though when I went to the Advanced Tab it said Cache 2048KB RAM idk if that means anything.
m
l
January 2, 2013 7:32:12 AM

trumpeter1994 said:
Which stick is the BIOS not picking up? You should be able to figure out with CPU-Z which module is in which slot as it will tell you the manufacture under the SPD tab.

Okay On Bios it said the memory Bank 2 was not installed which is the Stock RAM stick and Bank 1 is installed with 1024KB Though when I went to the Advanced Tab it said Cache 2048KB RAM idk if that means anything.
m
l
January 2, 2013 7:47:31 AM

Have you tried running with just the new RAM?
m
l
January 2, 2013 8:04:57 AM

trumpeter1994 said:
Have you tried running with just the new RAM?

Yes and the computer will run. I think because the timings are different...

DDR3 Video Cards can run on DDR2 Motherboads...?
m
l
!