Can I use a psu upside down?

xtremeclowny

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2012
Hello, I recently started buying items for a new pc and as of now im only missing the gpu, cpu and ram. Anyways, the case I bought has the psu slot allt he way at the bottom and if I was to place the psu the regular way the fan will be right against the base of the case. Therefore I figure that the best thing to do is to turn the psu 180 degrees. Would that be a problem¿
´ç

Almost forgot, this is the psu i bought. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Nooooo! don't turn the PSU upside down or all the electrons will fall out.

Seriously, the only limitation on orientation for most modern PCs is the optical drive tray. If you use a slot loading drive, you can hang the thing face down from the ceiling. Occasionally, though, you'll come across a system that is dependent on convective flow for proper cooling.

Once upon a time, hard drives were very sensitive in how they were mounted. Some would work fine when mounted on one side but not the other and most were not at all happy if they were mounted upside down. It hasn't been much of an issue since we started describing drives in terms of gigabytes, for the most part.