Sign in with
Your question

Wiered problem in a new system

Last response: in Systems
November 25, 2011 12:19:52 PM

hello, I've just assembled a new system and i'm having some very weired technical issues. first my system is as follows:

Intel core i5 2400
MB Asus P8P67
2x4gb DDR3 1600 kingston hyperX
MSI Nvidia GTX 570
Corsair 850XTv2 PSU (an overkill for this system but i'll be adding a 2nd gtx570 soon)
SSD 64 Kingston as a boot drive
WD 1tb HDD
Thermaltake Element V case
Win 7 32-bit

i assembled the PC and installed windows and everything went fine. I tries 2 games so far, Starcraft 2 and battlefield 3. In both i had one strange issue, when i move the mouse, the pointer doesn't move, but the menues of those games respond, the bottoms get highlighted, in SC2 i tried to select units and they responded but the pointed still doesn't move, in BF3, i can point, but that's a game that doesn't have a pointed inside the game anyway. the pointer works perfectly in windows tho.

The 2nd issue is that BF3 halts after 3 minutes of playing and responds with the message (system ran out of memory). I understand that windows 7 32-bit can only deal with 4gb but i don't think this is the issue ..

Ideas ????

More about : wiered problem system

November 25, 2011 12:27:12 PM

I suggest first making sure all your components are installed in the right ports. Specifically the ram in this case.

It's also possible that one of your ram's are doa. or semi-doa.

The only other thing I can thing of suggesting is make sure all your drivers are up-to-date.
m
l
November 25, 2011 1:16:16 PM

the only drivers that need update are VGA drivers as far as i know, and that was the first thing that i've done.

i tried moving the ram to the other two slots, and still the same.

i honestly don't understand what do you mean with doa or semi-doa ... and is there a way i can check on their condition ?
m
l
November 25, 2011 1:23:47 PM

Zen911 said:
the only drivers that need update are VGA drivers as far as i know, and that was the first thing that i've done.

i tried moving the ram to the other two slots, and still the same.

i honestly don't understand what do you mean with doa or semi-doa ... and is there a way i can check on their condition ?

Download and burn memtest86 to a bootable DVD or CD: http://www.memtest86.com/. Reboot computer, hit the function button for boot options (typically f11 or f12) and boot memtest86 from the CD or DVD. You'll have your answer on whether your memory defective or not.

I see this more as a software issue, because if everything else works, including other games like FPS and the pointers are in those games, then its might be a driver issue. Try using an older driver OR even try the beta drivers. Also double check, triple check that there aren't any invasive programs that are open that would cause the game to do that. A good test to see if its just in full screen mode is to try running these games in windowed mode.
m
l
!