Sign in with
Your question

New PC build, some W7 x64 quirky behavior

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
December 28, 2011 2:06:31 PM

:hello: 

I just recently built my folks a mid-range home office PC and seeing some quirky Win7 behavior that I would like some input on. Please take note the specs are NOT the ones in my profile, which is my personal gaming PC.

There are three problems that are puzzling me:

1) Some of the desktop shortcut icons randomly change to the generic "no file" icon, but when I go to the shortcut properties they are pointed to the correct icon. Re-applying the proper selection sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

2) Sometimes you can click on programs and they won't open, or are delayed for inordinate amount of time. This seems to be when one or more explorer folders are open, and while there's no indication that the system is busy, it sort of feels like the CPU is limited or just not executing. It's a 3.3ghz i5, so there shouldn't be such an issue.

3) I copied all my parents' music from their old PC running XP to the libraries 'My Music' folder (same folder as the sample music for Media Player), but for the life of me I cannot get Media Player to see the folders and add them to the library. The folder heirarchy is - Artist name\album\track... same as always, but the only way Media Player will see the tracks is if I extract them from the individual folders and paste them directly into the 'My Music' folder, which would be an organizational nightmare. This is the third or forth time I've installed Win7 and never ran into this issue before.

The PC specs are:

CPU: i5 2500k @ 3.3ghz
Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 LGA1155
RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws 8GB @ 2133mhz (XMP profile enabled)
*** the RAM is totally overkill but it's what I had left over from a recent upgrade...
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache
GPU: Nvidia 9800GT 1GB

Thanks!
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2011 2:14:36 PM

For the music files -- What format are the files in ? IIRC WMP does not support the latest Itunes format (.m4a) -- It will play them fine but will not import them correctly into the library list - so If using this format you may want to switch to using I-tunes instead of WMP
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2011 3:05:34 PM

I would reformat, and test run it without importing anything for a while. Make sure to load the motherboard drivers as well, especially the chipset drivers. Dont ever trust that Windows finds all your drivers for you. If it runs fine after that import old stuff over, maybe theres a virus hiding there so scan old stuff first.
!