Crashing in Games, HELP!

ev0rn0ss

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Hi guys, I am having a weird problem during games where various game crashes, specially Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Formula 1 2011. (Formula 1 2010 also crashed on me).

This problem started long time ago, but I know I had faulty ram.. so I went and changed my Motherboard, RAM and CPU.. the only thing I still use from the old setup is my PSU which is fine (tested) and my ATI HD5870.

When games crash, the sound goes nuts and the screen blinks, or goes black.. My pc doesn't freeze, I just close the game.. but then, in the OS.. things are fishy, everything related to video (youtube etc) is very funky and doesn't work, or not as is supposed to at least.. Everything goes back to normal after a Restart.

I have tried different Catalyst versions so far.. and still get the same problem.. I am lost here, and this is driving me nuts.. any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Is there a way I could log/see whats causing the problem?

-
SETUP:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X1100T X6 @ 3.8Ghz
RAM: Corsair 8GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 (currently at 1333MHz and set to Auto for timings)
Video: ATI XFX Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5
PSU: Crosair TX850w
Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium

G

Have you got an older HDD it may be slowing things down and messing up, I'd recommend that you do a clean install (I've just done one for similar issue, PC was freezing then Blue Screen and notification about hardware error, then just shut down, some peple said it was drivers so I reinstalled whole systems ... it was messed up anyway and *knock o wood* so far so good*)
If you're running Windows Vista or 7 just type in "log" into start menu and it should come up (control panel, view event logs)

ev0rn0ss

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
I have an old HDD as main.. but I don't think it has any problems. This only happens when Gaming so far, but I've run some benchmarks on my Video Card and some stress tests and everything seems well.

I tried to go to event logs but I can't see anything useful there, just that my system crashed (that I knew lol).

Thanks for your input tho, pankomputerk.

Anyone else? Please? I am going nuts here. :(

ltrazaklt

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
sounds like the Vid Card is overheating ..have you checked the fan on it ? and clean it out recently ? ..if everything goes back being ok after a restart (ie a brief time for the card to cool down) .. but then you said the sound goes nuts ..and I see ur using an add on soundcard ..that could an issue to ..have checked ALL the components websites for any BIOS or Firmware updates ?

ev0rn0ss

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
All the drivers are up to date (VideoCard and Soundcard). I have been trying with Catalyst 10.7,11.6,11.7,11.8.. they all at some point crash. (assuming that its the video driver crashing)

Could be overheating, but I have GPU-Z as a monitoring tool for it, and it never goes beyond 80C (I read its designed to run at that temp). The fan is working properly and I manually set it to 60-70% before gaming just in case the autofan is broken. I havent cleaned it cause I actually don't know how to. Seems kinda complicated to remove the heatsink of that card.

The motherboard has the lastest firmware.

:cry:

lozz08

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
One thing that usually works for me in similar situations as yours is to download MSI afterburner and force a constant clock rate with it. Maybe give it a slight underclock too. Give it a go you never know.

ltrazaklt

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
by cleaning it ..i just mean to take like a can of compressed air like ($5 at Wallmart) ..and take ur vid , blow the dust off the fans and the heatsink , and clean the rest of any case fans , make sure you got soem decent airflow thru the case ..

also when you changed out the RAM, MB , did you do a 'clean install' or did just hook up the old drive , and let windows find new hardware ? or did you remove the old drivers of the old MB ...

as lozz said the MSI afterburner (although I think XFX might have a similar utility, not sure ) ..and adjust the clock speed down a bit .. also , did reinstall the after the MB replacement ?

ev0rn0ss

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
I've tried underclocking the Video Card and the problem still persists.. I did a fresh install when I installed the RAM and the Soundcard.. I've done a few fresh Windows 7 64bits installs and the problem persists.. Everything is Up-To-Date.

Here are some of the graphic errors the OS shows after any game crash:

http://i51.tinypic.com/ji27w8.png
http://i56.tinypic.com/2uh5v0i.png
http://i56.tinypic.com/25kk95t.png

(After a restart, everything goes back to normal. This only happens when Gaming. Sometimes it takes 20 mins of gaming, sometimes I can go three or four hours of straight gaming and then it happens.. :cry: )

ltrazaklt

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
that is dam strange looking ..so flat 2d pics are working , but videos are static/snow ?
and you are %100 sure the PSU is good ..and that 850w should be plenty power what you got ..very odd , but it looking to me , the card is toast , or at leastly partially ..if still under warranty at this point it might RMA time ..or time to put new thermal paste on the vid card ..MAYBE the new MB has some odd voltage issue with card ..but I would see what some others say about thos pics ..

ev0rn0ss

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Done and Done.. No usable info

DxDiag shows no problems at all (haven't run it after a crash when everything is fishy tho.)

And Event Viewer doesn't tell me a damn thing.

cero00

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Hi , my name is Pablo, and very recently had the same problem with a ram change for gskill snipers 1866 and games start crashing, but games with high use of memory like GTA IV, so long story short: run memtest86 4.0a, and exactly on test #7, moving blocks, every single stick of ram shows errors, so i follow the forums best i could, and end up stable and with no errors, and no more crashes, so good luck.