Is it worth waiting for ivy bridge?

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
hi. ok i want to build a 2nd gaming rig using an i5-2500k. So the question is, is it worth waiting a couple months for ivy bridge? Will it be so much better that i should wait? The only thing i have read about the i5- 3570k is that the integrated graphics are much better than the i5-2500k. However, i will be using a discrete graphics card so that doesnt matter to me at all. I also dont want to buy a cpu now and upgrade only a couple months later. Is there any data where it shows significant and noticeable gaming improvement over the i5-2500k that i should wait?

thanks! :hello:

The IGP is where IB will shine most. The CPU will see a 10-15% performance increase but overall thats it.

I am asking the same question as my tax refund was larger than I expected (being a single white male, although I live with my fiance am not "officially married", I expected to get shafted).

But I am thinking of just going with a 2500K with a Gen3 mobo and upping to IB later for PCIe 3.0. But the 22nm sounds nice. Lower temps and power usage.

I'm expecting CPU performance increase to be more like around a 6% based on similar clock speeds. The big push with IB is the Intel HD 4000 IGP which seems to be around a 67% performance increase over the Intel HD 3000 based on some recent preliminary game test. However, if you are going to stick a discrete graphics card in your PC, then that increase in IGP performance will mean nothing.

Intel has claimed up to a 20% increase in CPU performance, however, it is unknown how much that is due to improved IPC and how much is due to increased clock speeds. However, that claim revolves around AVX acceleration, so it will only be programs that are designed to used those instruction sets that will see a large boost in performance. AVX is primarily used for vector and scalar data sets which makes it good for applications such as financial analysis and media content creation.

To learn more about AVX you can click the following link:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/avx/

What I have seen is actually 16% per clock but then again its all just rumors for now. I have no doubt there will be an increase, and probably higher overclocking.

But that said, in games more than likley we wont see a major increase. It will probably be on par in games with SB mainly due to the GPU bottlenecks that are going to be present at the higher resolutions everyone plays at.

Due to that, and the probability of price gougint upon release, I would say going for a 2500K right now would not be a bad thing. Especially if the OP goes with a Gen3 mobo which can be upgraded to IB later and as well it will include PCIe 3.0 so the system will have a longer life than normal.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

single,uncle?!?
Party! Not messing, as no one can mess with uncle.

Wait or not!
Depends upon your need, if you don't need it now then simply wait, after ivy there will be more new cpu or ram
ddr4 will arrive soon and it will cause a cpu+mb upgrade.

But i think grab a i5 now and then after 1-2 year upgrade to ddr4.

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
do you really think HD 4000 will be that much of a boost? the only way it would impress me is if it played mainstream games on Medium settings at 1680x1050 :/ but the problem is they usually put that IGP in K CPU's where the buyers tend to use dedicated graphics anyway, so that increase in IGP will only really matter for OEMs...

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished

That tax refund is bigger because King Obama and his minions reduced the FICA witholding. The witholding for Social Security which you won't ever get because the gov't. is BROKE! :cry: