Sign in with
Your question
Solved

UPS for a PSU with 900w load

Last response: in Components
February 27, 2012 12:23:23 AM

What UPS should I buy for a PSU that probably will have a load of 900W

the first option that I found was http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The watts from the ups must match the psu load right? not like my pc is not going to be always at that load but let's say it will

More about : ups psu 900w load

a c 1176 ) Power supply
February 27, 2012 2:45:49 AM

Is your display panel going to be connected to the UPS? If it is, what is its make and model?

Is the 900W the AC power draw or the maximum DC output capacity of the power supply unit?

What is the make and model of the power supply unit?
m
l
Related resources
a c 274 ) Power supply
February 27, 2012 3:37:51 PM

I use that exact model for my main gaming rig that is powered by a 750W psu.
I get a good 40min of back-up power when using the pc during a power outtage = non-gaming.
m
l
February 27, 2012 5:07:06 PM

Calculate your power draw of monitors, modems etc that
you will connect to UPS . Efficiency of PSU and buy accordingly . 900W of UPS op seems reasonable. Seems to be a off-line UPS.
m
l
February 27, 2012 5:29:40 PM

Thanks for replies

I just want the pc connected, since is the most delicate but if I can connect the monitor and a 12v modem and router, would be nice... not really necessary.

My monitor is an old LG 19" Flatron W1934S
The PSU will be a Corsair HX1050W wich probably will be running a GTX 580 SLI, I already did some calculations with the online calculator from newegg full specs ~900W

I just need it to turn my pc safely I don't even need 5 minutes, I just want to protect it from outages and unstable power... I'm afraid to buy a low wattage UPS, I read others threads of people with the same SLI and the UPS making noise due the high load (not using the battery)... maybe bad UPS ? I don't know
m
l

Best solution

a c 1176 ) Power supply
February 27, 2012 6:12:29 PM

I'm pretty sure your system (excluding monitor) will be drawing less than 750 Watts from the AC power plug while you're gaming.

The LG Flatron W1934S has a typical power consumption of 36 Watts according to LG's documentation.

Newegg's online power supply calculator tends to overestimate the power requirements because they are trying to sell you a more expensive power supply.

That UPS, that you've linked to, should work just fine with the system and monitor plugged into it.

The power supplies' that have a problem with simulated sine wave UPS' will usually result in the UPS producing characteristic gurgling sounds and shut down in half a minute after switching over to battery operation.

You would then have to consider using this one instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
February 28, 2012 12:26:43 AM

Best answer selected by MiervaFy.
m
l
!