Last piece - SSD - Please assist!

alpha0meqa

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Hello there!

Just ordered my new computer and I still need to pick out a SSD. I need a 120-128GB SSD. I don't know if it's going to be a pain to install Win7 on it from scratch or what. I see so many Reviews about the Vertex 3 saying you need to update firmware before installing Windows and all this other firmware stuff that makes me think it's going to be a pain.

I was thinking of getting this one
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe
http://www.amazon.com/Mushkin-Chro [...] 392&sr=8-1

But reviews I see on it also say updating the firmware is a pain. What do you guys suggest? Am I going to be able to build my new computer from scratch and install Win7 on the SSD from scratch without updating the firmware on any SSD?

Please help!

Solution

LuminaArcainia

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I'm to the understanding Corsairs Force GT Models are Pretty easy when it comes to using it for a OS. Thats why I picked the Corsair Force gt 120gb model for my build.

I'm still quite a newbit to custom builds though. so... take my advice with a bowl of sugar (as opposed to a spoon).
Most SSD's should allow a OS install no problems though....any that don't..well ya gotta wonder about the quality.

alpha0meqa

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008

Agreed--- I just don't want to have to install Win7 on my HDD, update firmware on my SSD and then like reinstall Win7 onto the SSD or whatever the best process is, it seems like a lot of hassle. I'm fine with installing Win7 on the SSD then upgrading the firmware, no big deal then -_-

alpha0meqa

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008

Thanks for the response! Do you mind the slow write speed? I think its a bit slower. But reviews are better and I definitely don't want any hassle. The write speed is my only concern, but how often will I really be installing anyways right!

alpha0meqa

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008

One more question just out of curiosity. Is the Crucial still better than those new Samsung 830's?

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Solution