GPU for gaming at 1360x768

I'm thinking about buying a new GPU, i currently have a 9800gt I got just to get up and running and now im thinking about the real thing... Since the 9800gt has done impressively well with most games so far (+60fps with mass effect and fallout games on highest settings :??: ), would a GTX460 be too much for this res? (I dont mind playing on "High" instead of "Ultra" settings). A 460 is as far as i go with my budget.
I got a good psu and i prefer nvidia cards. Waddaya say? Could a 450 be enough?
10 answers Last reply
More about gaming 1360x768
  1. 450 would be a disappointing upgrade from the 9800GT, the 460 would be nice but since you have low resolution you will need a fast CPU to reap the benefits of the upgrade.
  2. Thanks for the answer rolli59! I have an i3-2100, its not quad but i guess it wont be much of a bottleneck... I saw some 460SE that are not expensive, though I dont know them well and Im having trouble to find good benches for that card... They seem like a middle-step between 450 and 460s
  3. im also at 1360x768 res. & wants to take an advice from all of you guys. my budget is around $60-$80 maximum. whether nvidia nor ati will do. i just want to have the best for my bucks. & also, i found someone selling a HIS hd5750 (6mos old still has a wrty) for about $70. is it the best that i could get? i only use the built-in hd3200 for over 2yrs now.

& yeah, im planning to step up to am3/+ platform, but for now i know the gpu is the very best first thing to get.

here's my full specs: (kinda low-end but decent)
    mobo: ECS a780gm-a
    cpu: AII x2 250 @ 3.5ghz OCed
    ram: kingston 2gb ddr2-800 low profile (1pc)
    odd: LG 22x dvdrw sata (1pc)
    hdd: Seagate Barracuda 250gb sata (2pcs)
    psu: a 5yr old & counting generic psu. lol!
    case: Mars 722 thermal advantage
  4. you need more ram too, 2gb not enough, many games will be loading constantly from the hard drive creating enormous stuttering. The generic PSU causes an issue too. Opt for a 5670/6670 at most to avoid destroying your PSU, and get more ram.
  5. iam2thecrowe said:
    you need more ram too, 2gb not enough, many games will be loading constantly from the hard drive creating enormous stuttering. The generic PSU causes an issue too. Opt for a 5670/6670 at most to avoid destroying your PSU, and get more ram.

thanks. actually yes im planning on adding another 2gb ram also, for only $10 i could get a 2nd hand one. but i might step up to a 1066 bcoz i could easily hit 3.75ghz on my cpu but the problem is my stock hsf, i know it cant keep up with the heat when im at 3.75ghz for a very long time. i know i could go as far as 4ghz but the problem is that i dont know how much & when to add a voltage on the cpu. =( i dont have guts, how i wish there's someone who's expert that will help do the job. plus, when OCing the ram, same as the cpu, i dont know how much & when to add voltages.

thats why, i want the gpu first to be upgraded, then ram & cm hyper 212+, then psu.
    or psu first before ram & cm hyper 212+ if my psu cannot run the hd5750.

so, is the hd5750 is the very best choice for around $60-$80? (regardless of my psu)
  6. i would just leave your cpu at 3.5ghz, you wont gain all that much from a couple more hundred mhz, the next step for you is more cores. Does your motherboard support core unlocking? you should try that.
  7. you really have a point there man.. thanks! u realy brighten up my mind.
    unfortunately, it doesnt have a core unlocking technology.
  8. this is killing me...
    i cant find any button to post my own topic!
    can sum1 pls help me?

i also have questions! this is not userfriendly!
    you disappoint me TOM!
  9. gerchokas said:
    Thanks for the answer rolli59! I have an i3-2100, its not quad but i guess it wont be much of a bottleneck... I saw some 460SE that are not expensive, though I dont know them well and Im having trouble to find good benches for that card... They seem like a middle-step between 450 and 460s

Keep your gpu & wait for AMD 7... series or Nvidia 6.. series
  10. gagan_prakash2009 said:
    Keep your gpu & wait for AMD 7... series or Nvidia 6.. series

Yeah think im gonna wait a bit... maybe next gtx/s 650-660 suit my needs... thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Games Gaming Graphics