Finally ready to upgrade

thestrangebrew

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Got the green light to upgrade my step-son's pc. Will be ordering today or tonight. Please note that I posted a build about a month ago but funds weren't available. Now I'm ready to pull the trigger with the wife's blessing.

Budget is $350 tops, including shipping & tax. I have w7 32 bit so an OS is not needed for him.

His current spec is:
Athlon 4400+ skt 939
Asus a8n32slu platinum ( I think)
2 gb kvr
Xfx 5770 juniper
Windows xp

It's an ancient rig so at the least I know I need to replace the mobo, proc, & ram, and I think that'll pretty much be it to run bf3 and give him some upgrade paths in the future.

What I won't need (unless u guys tell me otherwise) are the following:

Monitor, he has a 19" LCD 1280x1020 res. which will suffice for him
Psu, I have a few antecs laying around, both are at least 600w
DVD burner
Video card, 2x5770 xfired that should be enough to run bf3 @ his res.
Peripherals, a gaming mouse & kb would be nice but not right now
Sound card, there's a 2zs platinum creative audigy sc in it I think.
RAM- I have 2x2gb gskill ripjaws 1600 laying around so RAM isn't needed.

So, again, I think this leaves me with replacing the mobo & CPU. I'd like to get him a case and the hyper 212 hsf

I'd like to go with amd purely for budget, quad core a must.
A mobo that's got some form of upgradability (I learned my lesson with the 1156 platform).

This is what I'm planning:

Antec 300 Illusion case

ASUS M5A88-V EVO AM3+ AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...

Total: $348.52

What do you guys think? What would you guys get different.

He will not be OCing but I'd like to have the option to do so for him or at least teach him if he decides. This is mainly a budget gaming build, maybe some light productivity for homework etc. Thats about it.