• Homebuilt
  • Desktops
  • RAM
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 25, 2011 3:49:28 PM

Hi guys,
I'm planning to upgrade my desktop(RAM & Graphics card), looking forward for your suggestions on the best choice & also need advice to overcome some sluggishness issues.
My current config-
MSI GF615M-P33
AMD Athlon II X3 435 2.9GHz
Transcend 2GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
Seagate 500GB SATA

I was running Win7 32-bit all was smooth, when I upgraded to Win7 Ultimate N 64-bit OS things got sluggish. I read somewhere that 64 bit applications can really benefit only when RAM is more than 2 GB(Kindly guide me if thats true).

After going for the 64-bit OS my programs go "Not Responding" when I run them and resume normalcy after a minute or so, even my browser does this :(  Is there some conflict with my hardware? How to overcome this sluggishness?

I would be mostly using my PC for photo/video processing & some rendering, such as Lightroom, Photoshop, DxO Optics, After effects, Vray.

Also some of my apps need more RAM so I plan to max out at 8GB RAM(thats the max I believe GF615M supports). I'm yet to decide to add 1 2GB & 1 4GB DDR3 chips or get 2 new 4GBs.

RAM options available-
G.skill Ripjaws X 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz Desktop RAM (F3-10666CL9S-4GBXL)
Corsair XMS3 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Desktop Memory (CMX4GX3M1A1600C9)
G.skill Sniper 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Desktop RAM (F3-12800CL9S-4GBSR)
I've no idea how to understand the numbers(latency, etc), so kindly suggest which one would be good.

Can I benefit by overclocking my cpu? If so can anyone brief or suggest a guide for OCing?
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Raghav

More about : suggestions upgrading desktop sluggishness issues

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
November 25, 2011 4:16:40 PM

RAM should be in pairs , so it runs in dual channel . A 2 x4 gig kit is a reasonable upgrade even though you cant use the RAM you have any more .

You should not have a performance hit from using a 64 bit OS .
If you can I'd suggest reinstalling windows completely
m
l
November 25, 2011 4:27:14 PM

Thanks for your advice Outlander, I will go for 2x4GB then as it will save a lot of time from my work.
So G.skill or Corsair?
And any advice on OCing?
m
l
Related resources
a c 85 B Homebuilt system
November 25, 2011 4:53:39 PM

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
Although, I think the problem has lessened with the newer Intel chipsets. Still,
it is safer to get what you need in one kit.

Also, it is usually easier for a motherboard to control two sticks vs.4.

8gb(2 x 4gb) is very good. Some apps like photoshop can use ram to reduce workfile i/o.

You want documented ram compatibility. If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.
Otherwise, you risk a finger pointing battle between the ram and motherboard support sites, claiming "not my problem".
One place to check is your motherboards web site.
Look for the ram QVL list. It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.
While today's motherboards are more tolerant of different ram, it makes sense to buy ram that is known to work and is supported.

Either G.skil or Corsair is a good starting point. Don't pay more for fancy heat spreaders. Ram works fine with none.

The next best upgrade might be a SSD. Everything you do will feel quicker. Prices are falling, see if you can justify a 60-80gb drive for the os and some apps. Use your 500gb drive for overflow.
m
l
November 25, 2011 5:37:52 PM

Hi geofelt, thanks for your inputs. Found this list for my motherboard-
http://www.msi.com/file/test_report/TR10_1815.pdf this has increased my doubts

My mobo specs say
Main Memory
• Supports Dual Channel DDR3 800/1066/1333
- 2 DDR3 DIMMs (240pin / 1.5V)
- Supports a maximum memory size up to 8GB.

1) The pdf has some 1600Mhz RAMs listed but specs say 800/1066/1333, does it mean the 1600s are compatible?

2) Also there are some DDR3s & DDR3 OCs, what is the difference between the two? Does a DDR3 OC @ 1333 perform better than a just DDR3 1333? And there are no 4GBs in the 1333 OCs list, should I assume there are no tested RAMs in that category?

3) Is it ok if I buy 2 4GBs of the same make, cos in my nearby store I have only the following pairs available-
G.skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Desktop RAM (F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR)
G.skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2133MHz Desktop RAM (F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL)
But if my mobo max supports 1333MHz is there a point in buying 1600/2133? So instead can I buy 2 4GBs @ 1333?

Double thanks in advance, my list of queries is increasing :D 
Regards,
Raghav
m
l
November 25, 2011 5:59:15 PM

1) 1600 ram is slower ram that can be overclocked to 1600. It will also operate at slower speeds.

2) Usually, you can't tell the difference in real app performance with different speed ram. 1-2% perhaps? More will trump faster.
There is little point in faster ram unless you are into very high overclocking.

3) It is best to get a kit of 2 x 4gb to insure that the two sticks are compatible.

4) The motherboard qvl ram list will not have all of the available compatible ram kits. Go to the ram vendor's web site, and access their configurator.
Enter your motherboard and get a list of compatible kits. Here is the link for G.skil.
http://www.gskill.com/configurator.php
I did not see your motherboard on the list at all which is surprising. Perhaps I have the model # wrong. Run cpu-z which will identify your motherboard.
There are other vendors, most have configurators.
m
l
November 25, 2011 7:09:56 PM

Thanks a bunch geofelt :)  One last query, a local store shows Corsair & Gskill RAM modules as High performance DDR3s & the other makes(including Kingston) under Regular DDR3 category. Is there a difference between Corsair/Gskill vs Kingston for the same clock speed? Say @1333MHz, does a Gskill out perform a Transcend?
m
l

Best solution

November 25, 2011 7:17:34 PM

ksraghavendra said:
Thanks a bunch geofelt :)  One last query, a local store shows Corsair & Gskill RAM modules as High performance DDR3s & the other makes(including Kingston) under Regular DDR3 category. Is there a difference between Corsair/Gskill vs Kingston for the same clock speed? Say @1333MHz, does a Gskill out perform a Transcend?

Short answer no.

Such terms are marketing fluff. If the timings are lower at the same clock speed, performance may improve, but you would be hard pressed to detect the difference in daily work.
Also, 1.5v ram does not need fancy heat spreaders, they are mostly marketing also. Only record seeking overclockers should be interested in heat dissipation.

I think the G.skil or Corsair ram would work fine, despite the lack of configurator verification. If your local shop agrees, and will exchange them if you have a problem, then go ahead.
December 5, 2011 12:25:51 AM

Best answer selected by ksraghavendra.
m
l
December 5, 2011 12:27:31 AM

I have ordered Kingston 2x4GB @1333 thanks a lot for the inputs :) 
m
l
!