Sign in with
Your question

BIOS problem causing computer issues?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 2, 2013 4:31:27 PM

Hello,
I have been having some problems with my computer lately that I believe are related to my BIOS, but I am unsure of the cause or how to fix it. I have an Asus P7P55D-E Pro motherboard.The problems are as follows:

-long boot times, up to 1 minute 45 seconds to get Windows loaded (despite a fresh install of Win7 on an SSD) and nearly a minute from powering on to the start of Windows beginning to load. Particularly seems to hang during "Marvell 88SE91XX Adapter Initiazling" segment.
-extremely slow/unresponsive BIOS settings menu, a nearly two-second delay even when just navigating between menu items
-sometimes Windows loads and is completely unusable. It runs absurdly slow and stuttering, to the point that it takes 2-3 seconds for the animation of minimizing a window.
-other times Windows is just running poorly, that I get consistent and constant frame drops in games that would otherwise run smootly
-the above behavior is completely random and is sometimes fixed by restarting, it's a complete roll of the dice each time I turn my computer on whether it will run smoothly or not.
-a new prompt comes up while BIOS is starting that says <Press Space to Continue>. This is bypassed after about 10-15 seconds if nothing is pressed.

I recently updated my BIOS when I was installing a new SSD, but all of the behavior described above happened prior to that with the exception of the Space Bar prompt.

The remainder of my computer specs are below, any help would be appreciated.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Asus P7P55D-E Pro
Intel i5 760 (2.8Ghz)
12 GB RAM
NVidia Geforce GTX 460
120 GB SSD Boot Drive
1 TB Data Drive
a b V Motherboard
January 2, 2013 5:00:53 PM

Hello...what brand is your SSD? and communication setting in your bios for your sata drives? is there a updated marvell driver of the one you are using?

My experience with slow operation like that is from a result of a virus... or you have driver issues within Windows to one or more of hardware devices... or a BIO's setting to one or more of your hardware devices... or your Bootdrive is broken or dying.

If ya un-plug your 1TB drive from your system do you get the same results?

can you make a bootable Windows drive on a another media USB or hardrive and make a test without your SSD installed?

m
l
January 2, 2013 6:22:14 PM

Ironsounds said:
Hello...what brand is your SSD? and communication setting in your bios for your sata drives? is there a updated marvell driver of the one you are using?

My experience with slow operation like that is from a result of a virus... or you have driver issues within Windows to one or more of hardware devices... or a BIO's setting to one or more of your hardware devices... or your Bootdrive is broken or dying.

If ya un-plug your 1TB drive from your system do you get the same results?

can you make a bootable Windows drive on a another media USB or hardrive and make a test without your SSD installed?

I just wanted to point out that all of these problems were occurring long before I installed the SSD recently, I am only just now getting around to posting about them.

The SSD is a Crucial M4 set to ACHI.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 2, 2013 6:45:02 PM

hello... ok to determine if you have a virus or a bad ACHI driver... remove all partitons do a re-format of your SSD drive and reload Windows... you can try using SATA IDE mode in your bios... you can run a SSD in IDE mode without any Marvel driver install...

Do not connect your 1 TB Harddrive... just use your SSD...

install latest...

Chipset drivers
graphic drivers

now play/move mouse/open things in windows... does it re-act like a normal PC does now?
m
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a c 462 V Motherboard
January 2, 2013 7:43:38 PM

if your using the marvel controler make sure it set to achi mode. most time third party chipset are made for data drives not the boot os. the boot os drive should be on the intel chipset.
m
l
!