just a thought on BG2

Last response: in Video Games
January 26, 2005 5:22:43 AM

Hey, Am I the only one having conflicts every time I rescue Imoen in the
Dungeon? I mean, it seems to me that a good way of solving that would be
allowing to have a party of 7 just till you get out of there. I think it
really conflicts with role playing, I mean, I understand that one would like
to keep the party to a max of 6 because of group balance and what not, but
given that particualr case it seems logical (role-wise) that the main
character could allow an extra piece... after all, that's what I would do.

I now have a party with Minsc, Mazzy, Vicky, Nalia, Me (wild mage(which
brings an interesting question in my next post)), and that woman bard from
the mod that is on the five flagoons (Keto??). The obvious choice to keep
Imoen would be to kick Nalia out, but as a role player, I am incapable of
leaving anyone alone in the dungeon, and as a regular player, changing imoen
for Nalia will make me loose a lot of wizard levels... so... I just hate
that part of the game, a pitty since BG2:ToB is (although) the Best game
ever.

I look forward to reading your oppinions on the topic ;-)

bye

More about : thought bg2

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 5:22:44 AM

Bring Yoshimo.

S.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 11:16:45 AM

"Steven Chung" <sc1@panix.com> wrote in message
> Bring Yoshimo.

RCV: Yep, excellent suggestion. Plays out another sub-plot and allows
for another mini-quest to round off things.

Rich
Related resources
January 26, 2005 12:07:25 PM

FmC wrote:
> Hey, Am I the only one having conflicts every time I rescue Imoen in the
> Dungeon? I mean, it seems to me that a good way of solving that would be
> allowing to have a party of 7 just till you get out of there. I think it
> really conflicts with role playing, I mean, I understand that one would like
> to keep the party to a max of 6 because of group balance and what not, but
> given that particualr case it seems logical (role-wise) that the main
> character could allow an extra piece... after all, that's what I would do.
>
> I now have a party with Minsc, Mazzy, Vicky, Nalia, Me (wild mage(which
> brings an interesting question in my next post)), and that woman bard from
> the mod that is on the five flagoons (Keto??). The obvious choice to keep
> Imoen would be to kick Nalia out, but as a role player, I am incapable of
> leaving anyone alone in the dungeon, and as a regular player, changing imoen
> for Nalia will make me loose a lot of wizard levels... so... I just hate
> that part of the game, a pitty since BG2:ToB is (although) the Best game
> ever.
>
> I look forward to reading your oppinions on the topic ;-)
>
> bye

Tough call, you end up with 3 magic users, 1 cleric, 2 good fighters, and a bard
never used one, so I'm not sure what real strengths they have. Imoen is a
slightly better thief then Nalia, and you get 2 ring slots with Imoen to bump
her a little more. As far as magic they seem about the same, it's just Nalia,
right now, is a little higher then Imoen.
I never used Viconia or Mazzy, so I'm not sure how good either of them really
is, but not sure if you can make it without any real healing spells though, so
Viconia probably has to stay.
January 26, 2005 12:21:54 PM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 02:22:43 -0300, "FmC" <franciscom@manquehue.not>
wrote:

>Hey, Am I the only one having conflicts every time I rescue Imoen in the
>Dungeon? I mean, it seems to me that a good way of solving that would be
>allowing to have a party of 7 just till you get out of there. I think it
>really conflicts with role playing, I mean, I understand that one would like
>to keep the party to a max of 6 because of group balance and what not, but
>given that particualr case it seems logical (role-wise) that the main
>character could allow an extra piece... after all, that's what I would do.
>
>I now have a party with Minsc, Mazzy, Vicky, Nalia, Me (wild mage(which
>brings an interesting question in my next post)), and that woman bard from
>the mod that is on the five flagoons (Keto??). The obvious choice to keep
>Imoen would be to kick Nalia out, but as a role player, I am incapable of
>leaving anyone alone in the dungeon, and as a regular player, changing imoen
>for Nalia will make me loose a lot of wizard levels... so... I just hate
>that part of the game, a pitty since BG2:ToB is (although) the Best game
>ever.
>
>I look forward to reading your oppinions on the topic ;-)
>
>bye

I just take 5 people to brynlaw and add immy as my 6th.

Thanks
jeffo
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 3:12:50 PM

he is a traitor!!! I hate him

"Steven Chung" <sc1@panix.com> escribió en el mensaje
> Bring Yoshimo.
>
> S.
January 26, 2005 3:26:57 PM

FmC wrote:

> he is a traitor!!! I hate him
>

> "Steven Chung" <sc1@panix.com> escribió en el mensaje
>
>>Bring Yoshimo.
>>
>>S.

And the last time I went in, I took everything from him, so he backstabbed me
with bare hands :)
January 26, 2005 6:25:52 PM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:12:50 -0300, "FmC" <franciscom@manquehue.not>
wrote:

>he is a traitor!!! I hate him
>

>"Steven Chung" <sc1@panix.com> escribió en el mensaje
>> Bring Yoshimo.
>>
>> S.

who nets the party 200k experience if you see his "quest" thru...

HJ
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 7:41:22 PM

That's ussually what I do also, but I still think that it should be possible
to have 7 members in the dungeon. The other way you are kind of forced to
take Imoen in your group always.

"jeffo" <nospam@forme.com> escribió en el mensaje
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 02:22:43 -0300, "FmC" <franciscom@manquehue.not>
> wrote:
>
>>Hey, Am I the only one having conflicts every time I rescue Imoen in the
>>Dungeon? I mean, it seems to me that a good way of solving that would be
>>allowing to have a party of 7 just till you get out of there. I think it
>>really conflicts with role playing, I mean, I understand that one would
>>like
>>to keep the party to a max of 6 because of group balance and what not, but
>>given that particualr case it seems logical (role-wise) that the main
>>character could allow an extra piece... after all, that's what I would do.
>>
>>I now have a party with Minsc, Mazzy, Vicky, Nalia, Me (wild mage(which
>>brings an interesting question in my next post)), and that woman bard from
>>the mod that is on the five flagoons (Keto??). The obvious choice to keep
>>Imoen would be to kick Nalia out, but as a role player, I am incapable of
>>leaving anyone alone in the dungeon, and as a regular player, changing
>>imoen
>>for Nalia will make me loose a lot of wizard levels... so... I just hate
>>that part of the game, a pitty since BG2:ToB is (although) the Best game
>>ever.
>>
>>I look forward to reading your oppinions on the topic ;-)
>>
>>bye
>>

> I just take 5 people to brynlaw and add immy as my 6th.
>
> Thanks
> jeffo
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 7:47:02 PM

The power of my party is not really the point, I don't play to have the most
powerfull party available, I play to have a fun and interesting party, so
THAT is my problem... the role playing part of the decision, the 'power'
part is not important beause I will win the game with every party available.

And by the way... You have never played Viconia???? you are missing one of
the best characters in the game!!! (THE best in mi oppinion). With a couple
of stats raising items (the belt that gives consitution and the gauntlest of
ogre power) and those high level cleric spells, she can become a great front
fighther, or with the +5 sling she is good as a backup. Not to mention a
really good romance.

"Me" <Me@privacy.net> escribió en el mensaje
> FmC wrote:
>> Hey, Am I the only one having conflicts every time I rescue Imoen in the
>> Dungeon? I mean, it seems to me that a good way of solving that would be
>> allowing to have a party of 7 just till you get out of there. I think it
>> really conflicts with role playing, I mean, I understand that one would
>> like to keep the party to a max of 6 because of group balance and what
>> not, but given that particualr case it seems logical (role-wise) that the
>> main character could allow an extra piece... after all, that's what I
>> would do.
>>
>> I now have a party with Minsc, Mazzy, Vicky, Nalia, Me (wild mage(which
>> brings an interesting question in my next post)), and that woman bard
>> from the mod that is on the five flagoons (Keto??). The obvious choice to
>> keep Imoen would be to kick Nalia out, but as a role player, I am
>> incapable of leaving anyone alone in the dungeon, and as a regular
>> player, changing imoen for Nalia will make me loose a lot of wizard
>> levels... so... I just hate that part of the game, a pitty since BG2:ToB
>> is (although) the Best game ever.
>>
>> I look forward to reading your oppinions on the topic ;-)
>>
>> bye
> Tough call, you end up with 3 magic users, 1 cleric, 2 good fighters, and
> a bard
> never used one, so I'm not sure what real strengths they have. Imoen is a
> slightly better thief then Nalia, and you get 2 ring slots with Imoen to
> bump her a little more. As far as magic they seem about the same, it's
> just Nalia,
> right now, is a little higher then Imoen.
> I never used Viconia or Mazzy, so I'm not sure how good either of them
> really is, but not sure if you can make it without any real healing spells
> though, so Viconia probably has to stay.

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 9:29:03 PM

In article <d4efv057an0du0s2d3agv8rqlc3snt4npi@4ax.com>,
HomerJ <Homer@homer.com> wrote:
# On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:12:50 -0300, "FmC" <franciscom@manquehue.not>
# wrote:
# >he is a traitor!!! I hate him
#
# who nets the party 200k experience if you see his "quest" thru...

And conveniently frees up a slot just when you need one.

S.
January 26, 2005 11:57:41 PM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:41:22 -0300, "FmC" <franciscom@manquehue.not>
wrote:

>That's ussually what I do also, but I still think that it should be possible
>to have 7 members in the dungeon. The other way you are kind of forced to
>take Imoen in your group always.

I've always hoped someone would have a go at adding a seventh (or even
an eigth) slot to the party seeing as there appears to be plenty space
for them below the usual 6 ;)

Hate to think just how much mucking about with the game files that
would requre tho *shudder*...

HJ
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 12:22:35 AM

FmC wrote:
> That's ussually what I do also, but I still think that it should be possible
> to have 7 members in the dungeon. The other way you are kind of forced to
> take Imoen in your group always.

Yes, the game has a strong plot and Imoen is the second most important
character in the game (who can join the party, at least)--second to the
PC. Personally, I prefer a strong plot, even if it restricts some
choices, to less plot. The ability to do whatever you want without
worrying about the plot and have it make sense means a lot to some
people, I know, but it does nothing for me.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 12:22:36 AM

I'm not against the strong plot, I love that, is what makes BG saga so
great, but, for that same reason it would be nice to keep 7 for a while,
kind of making Imoen more like someone who comes with you but is not
considered a memeber of the group, maybe even without having full control of
her, just controlling her movements. That way I could move along with the
plot and not be an ass leaving someone to die in the dungeon.

Plus, if I consider that the main characther does not know exactly what
comes next, it would be a little odd for him to go rescue Imoen with less
than all the power he can get. He (she) is not supposed to expect being
trapped in a dungeon full of traps and monsters. So, when e realizes that,
he makes an exception and accepts a seventh member.

"Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> escribió en el mensaje
> FmC wrote:
>> That's ussually what I do also, but I still think that it should be
>> possible to have 7 members in the dungeon. The other way you are kind of
>> forced to take Imoen in your group always.
>
> Yes, the game has a strong plot and Imoen is the second most important
> character in the game (who can join the party, at least)--second to the
> PC. Personally, I prefer a strong plot, even if it restricts some
> choices, to less plot. The ability to do whatever you want without
> worrying about the plot and have it make sense means a lot to some people,
> I know, but it does nothing for me.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 10:39:12 AM

"FmC" <franciscom@manquehue.not> wrote in message
> Hey, Am I the only one having conflicts every time I rescue Imoen in the
> Dungeon? I mean, it seems to me that a good way of solving that would be
> allowing to have a party of 7 just till you get out of there. I think it
> really conflicts with role playing, I mean, I understand that one would
like
> to keep the party to a max of 6 because of group balance and what not, but
> given that particualr case it seems logical (role-wise) that the main
> character could allow an extra piece... after all, that's what I would do.

As previously mentioned, I bring Yoshi with us to Spellhold.
I think I brought him my first game. Anyway, I usually play
evil groups and having too many group members in an evil
group is generally not a problem - not a problem at all.

What gives me trouble is figuring out why the group is going
to Trademeet, exploring sewers and whatnot else when there
are (seemingly) more inportant things like reclaiming immortal
souls, or whatever, that they could instead be doing.

It also seems strange to me that a "good" group can take as
much time as they want - lollygag forever before setting off to
get Imoen, really, and she wont say so much as a harsh word
about it, yet an "evil" (which group is EVIL?) group who busts
butt getting there she'll leave - worse the tramp will STEAL
items from the group as she's leaving!

A problem having too many members in the group - ha! not in
my groups!
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 1:24:21 PM

kevin wrote:
> yet an "evil" (which group is EVIL?) group who busts
> butt getting there she'll leave - worse the tramp will STEAL
> items from the group as she's leaving!

The idea that the PC owns everything the party finds, and any other
party member who takes them is stealing, has always made me shake my head.

You are probably not going to like the mod I'm working on now. Not that
that's relevant to anything, but newsgroup traffic is slow. :-p
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 4:39:08 PM

"Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:p j3Kd.6986$8Z1.5254@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> kevin wrote:
>> yet an "evil" (which group is EVIL?) group who busts
>> butt getting there she'll leave - worse the tramp will STEAL
>> items from the group as she's leaving!
>
> The idea that the PC owns everything the party finds, and any other party
> member who takes them is stealing, has always made me shake my head.
>
> You are probably not going to like the mod I'm working on now. Not that
> that's relevant to anything, but newsgroup traffic is slow. :-p

Since no one bites and I'm hungry: what's that?
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 10:58:50 PM

Wim Dekker wrote:
> "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> news:p j3Kd.6986$8Z1.5254@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>
>>kevin wrote:
>>
>>>yet an "evil" (which group is EVIL?) group who busts
>>>butt getting there she'll leave - worse the tramp will STEAL
>>>items from the group as she's leaving!
>>
>>The idea that the PC owns everything the party finds, and any other party
>>member who takes them is stealing, has always made me shake my head.
>>
>>You are probably not going to like the mod I'm working on now. Not that
>>that's relevant to anything, but newsgroup traffic is slow. :-p
>

> Since no one bites and I'm hungry: what's that?

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showforum=77
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 9:29:59 PM

> Wim Dekker wrote:
>> "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> news:p j3Kd.6986$8Z1.5254@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...

>>>The idea that the PC owns everything the party finds, and any other party
>>>member who takes them is stealing, has always made me shake my head.
>>>
>>>You are probably not going to like the mod I'm working on now. Not that
>>>that's relevant to anything, but newsgroup traffic is slow. :-p
>>

>> Since no one bites and I'm hungry: what's that?
>>

> http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showforum=77
What a wonderful idea! Now you get the chance to do a lot
of stronghold quests and it fits much better in the storyline
than some kind of multi-stronghold patch. And NPC's get
more character of their own. I like it.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 1:03:33 AM

"Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:p j3Kd.6986$8Z1.5254@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...

> The idea that the PC owns everything the party finds, and any other
> party member who takes them is stealing, has always made me shake my head.

Ha - fine... and yeah it's true my groups do not resemble any
form of democracy. But since NPCs have no leeway as to
whether or not they join or leave a group except for factoring
in a combination of things (that being reputation!) and also
that the NPCs who are not in the group are far worse even
than those who are eligible to join I believe it's better for
none of them to have anything.

> You are probably not going to like the mod I'm working on now. Not that
> that's relevant to anything, but newsgroup traffic is slow. :-p

Hey now - I might!

If you or someone else wants to... what is it? bah, I dont want to
check out the link (since I proly wont like it anyway!)
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 9:04:51 AM

That way I could move along with the
> plot and not be an ass leaving someone to die in the dungeon.

But you are not leaving the character to die. Whoever is left behind
makes it back to the city unharmed. So you are actually doing them a
favour as they don't have to go through the underdark etc!

Badbark.
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd
have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion."
- Steven Weinberg, Nobel laureate physicist
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 3:25:44 PM

> But you are not leaving the character to die. Whoever is left behind
> makes it back to the city unharmed. So you are actually doing them a
> favour as they don't have to go through the underdark etc!

I have never though of it that way... it's a good point. Although, at
the moment of leaving him/her I have no idea of my future adventures and I
don't know if she/he is gonna make it out, so it still be a cruel thing to
do.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 10:40:13 PM

FmC wrote:
> Badbark wrote:
>>But you are not leaving the character to die. Whoever is left behind
>>makes it back to the city unharmed. So you are actually doing them a
>>favour as they don't have to go through the underdark etc!
>

> I have never though of it that way... it's a good point.

No, it's not. First, no, whoever you leave behind /doesn't/ make it
back to the city unharmed. If you don't take Imoen in your party /she/
makes it back unharmed...but it's metagaming to know that. Anyone else
you leave on Brynnlaw, you will never see again. Then, both the ways of
leaving are extremely lethal--take the portal through the Underdark, or
book passage with one of the pirates on the island (as Saemon points
out, pirates can be counted on to throw their passengers overboard at
sea. Of course Saemon isn't someone to listen to if he makes a claim
which is at all questionable, but in this case he's pointing out the
equivalent of "the sun's going to come up tomorrow morning"). If there
was a way to return to Athkatla without risk, the PC and party would
take it. Finally, if you leave Imoen behind, you have no IC way of
knowing she won't collapse on the docks and be completely at the mercy
of all the pirates--you only know that you've been without your soul for
a shorter time that she has, and you already nearly fainted inside
Spellhold, right after Bodhi left.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:12:07 PM

For the Record...I have been playing both BG I and BG II for some time. I
have played both with only one character no problem.
As far as the dungeon goes, getting out was a breeze. I only use the NPC's
for fodder or to gain XP's then let them go or die in battle.
I complete the little quests and such and that's about it.
ENJOY!

!