Need help with my first build! Traveling producer.

How's it goin everyone!!

I'm going to be switching over from my mac book pro for mostly audio & some video editing, tracking and GAMING! I'm excited because I have time to do this. The last game I played was Half Life and a couple minutes of Half Life 2... I've played on xboxes in random places but never got into gaming as I had a mac and haven't been home. I've always carried my macbook and external everywhere as I can just plug into computers at the studio but I'd like to show off something and learn.

I want to build a silent, mobile, future proof and powerful pc. No specific budget plan as I want to build a mobile monster I will cherish until I drop it haha not really serious about that but it might happen. I have no idea what I'm looking for in a GPU but a silent and powerful one I'm assuming. I will be sticking with the Intel processor and I will use solid state drives. I'd like to go with a z68 or x79 board but have no idea which one is better for this build or purpose.

Thank you for your time and expertise.
5 answers Last reply
More about need build traveling producer
  1. Hmm, mobile huh. So are you envisioning a desktop case with handles, like a lanboy type of setup?
  2. Hey abeki

Yeah that's what I'm lookin for. I picture a midsize tower with handles or something super compact like one of those silverstone mini cases.

Thanks!
  3. Well you won't really get anywhere using a matx or mini itx case especially for gaming. How about a smaller mid tower? Better cases with handles that I can think of are the CM storm scout and Trooper.
  4. okay so matx is out. I'll be happy with a mid tower case especially with handles. Is there a huge difference in terms of performance and efficiency between an matx and atx board?

Thanks for the reply muffin.

Here's a scratch list of what I have so far:

Mobo/ CPU: z68 with i7 2600k as I plan to overclock in the future.

PSU: anything Gold and silent

SSD and HDD configuration is very confusing to me. I'd like to put my OS on a 120gb ssd and keep projects and huge plugins and samples in my external..
    as far what combo or what to buy I have no clue.

Cooler: no clue

Optical: Absolute high quality

Case: anything with handles and sound proof. My buddy told me about acoustiproducts and padding up a regular case.

RAM: anything that will help with latency

Thanks again for your time!
  5. Fractal Design Define R3, in terms of quality and features, and specs, matx boards do not offer much.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Build