Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Trying First Build, Have some things already

Last response: in Systems
November 25, 2011 6:26:39 PM

Hey guys, i have lurked here before and knew to come here when i finally got serious about building. Looking to build a computer that does well at gaming but not looking to sink a ton of money into a video card. Here is what i have already (just ordered)

Antec Neo Eco 620w Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Masscool Stars-700 Thermal grease

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus cpu cooler

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4 x 4 gb ram (16gb total)

Intel 320 series 80gb SSD

hp 2311x 23'' LED computer monitor already in my possession
(Not crazy about it and may sell it and get something else eventually)

Norton 360 5.0

And will most likely order windows 7 home premium here in the next few minutes.

I plan on getting everything minus the video card as soon as possible so i can get my machine booted and know that everything is working. I will then just wait until a good video card comes along and use integrated graphics until then. So i need:
Processor
Motherboard
Case
Optical Drive.

Now the ram i bought have huge heatsinks that i want to be mindful of. I dont care about the size of the case but i want something practical (no extremely showy lights or colors). Anyone got some suggestions? Anyone got suggestions on the stuff that i already have? Looking to go as cheap as possible without sacrificing performance. Of course i would like a i5-2500k. Then do i need one of the z68 or p67 motherboards? I am a bit clueless there.

More about : build things

Best solution

November 25, 2011 6:48:36 PM

...budget?

Yes. If you're getting an i5-2500k, you definitely want a Z68 motherboard. They're better equipped for over-clocking and gaming in general. Since they're all pretty much equipped with PCI-E 3.0, they are compatible with Ivy Bridge, which will be something to consider down the road.

If you've got the money, I recommend the NXZT Phantom, Silverstone Raven, HAF 932 (or HAF 912, cheaper version) and the Corsair 600T (these are cases in-case you dont know).

For an optical drive, pretty much any cheap-o drive should suffice unless of-course, you're interested in burning or Blu-Ray. Don't spend more than $60. Seriously. This would probably be what you want to get if you can afford it.

Please give me something to work with. Tell me your budget, what you want from these parts, etc.
November 25, 2011 6:54:00 PM

Well i am of the mindset that i need a good deal to buy something lol. I am trying to go as cheap as possible but understand you get what you pay for. I wanted to do like a $550 build after rebates but have realized that i probably wont meet that. I want to stay as close to that price as possible. Now should i buy windows 7 oem while it is $79 today or is there another route i should go? I qualify for student programs if there is one out there that would work for me. So z68 is the motherboard i need? I am worried that that cpu cooler i got is going to get in the way of one or multiple heat sinks from my 4 sticks of ram. I am going to check out those cases now. Thanks for the help!
m
l
Related resources
November 25, 2011 7:00:48 PM

mrtesseract said:
Well i am of the mindset that i need a good deal to buy something lol. I am trying to go as cheap as possible but understand you get what you pay for. I wanted to do like a $550 build after rebates but have realized that i probably wont meet that. I want to stay as close to that price as possible. Now should i buy windows 7 oem while it is $79 today or is there another route i should go? I qualify for student programs if there is one out there that would work for me. So z68 is the motherboard i need? I am worried that that cpu cooler i got is going to get in the way of one or multiple heat sinks from my 4 sticks of ram. I am going to check out those cases now. Thanks for the help!

Well, those were some pretty high end cases so you might want to get some cheaper ones. However, the air flow on all of them is excellent and they've all got loads of space. This is a pretty good mid-range case.

Yup, you definitely want a Z68 motherboard. There are many different Z68 motherboards, and you'll have to choose one depending on how much you're willing to spend. Some have better on-board audio, etc. Here's a pretty good one for reference (also the one I'm about to purchase), and this is cheaper one. If the RAM is a problem, then try getting two sticks of 4GB if you can afford it (although I doubt that it's going to be a problem).

Oh, and If you're going to buy Windows 7, now is the best time during all these sales! At this point, I just advise you to wait for AMD's 7000 series of GPUs because they're pretty much right around the corner and their release will drive down the price of the 6000 series.
m
l
November 25, 2011 7:38:49 PM

Sailor Moon said:
Well, those were some pretty high end cases so you might want to get some cheaper ones. However, the air flow on all of them is excellent and they've all got loads of space. This is a pretty good mid-range case.

Yup, you definitely want a Z68 motherboard. There are many different Z68 motherboards, and you'll have to choose one depending on how much you're willing to spend. Some have better on-board audio, etc. Here's a pretty good one for reference (also the one I'm about to purchase), and this is cheaper one. If the RAM is a problem, then try getting two sticks of 4GB if you can afford it (although I doubt that it's going to be a problem).

Oh, and If you're going to buy Windows 7, now is the best time during all these sales! At this point, I just advise you to wait for AMD's 7000 series of GPUs because they're pretty much right around the corner and their release will drive down the price of the 6000 series.

that silverstone raven is awesome! I am feeling the phantom though. What do you think black with orange or white with a touch of blue? I will probably order by the end of the night along with my windows 7 copy
m
l
November 25, 2011 7:42:19 PM

mrtesseract said:
that silverstone raven is awesome! I am feeling the phantom though. What do you think black with orange or white with a touch of blue? I will probably order by the end of the night along with my windows 7 copy
Yeah they're both pretty sexy. I'm getting the Black and Orange because it'll match my black monitor :love: . Yeah, you definitely want to order soon because they're $20 cheaper during these sales if I'm not mistaken. The $20 could be put towards the Steam sales. :kaola: 

Don't forget to choose a best answer. ;) 

Hope you enjoy your rig. This is definitely one of the best years in gaming ever. I don't think 2007 will ever be topped...but still, this has been pretty damn sweet!
m
l
November 25, 2011 7:48:05 PM

1) If your budget allows, the $200 2500K is about as good as it gets. If you are near a microcenter, they sell them to walk in's for $180.

2) If you want both integrated graphics and overclocking, then a Z68 is your only choice. Most any with 4 ram slots will do. If you will bypass sli as an upgrade, you can get a perfectly good single pcie slot motherboard quite reasonably. My preferred upgrade path would be to a single stronger card when 28nm kepler or 7000 series arrive next year. For sli of a decent card, you would have to replace your nice psu. If you go with a single card, you can run a GTX580 with it, and the 28nm cards should consume even less power.
The 2500K integrated graphics will even let you do some gaming like civ-4.

3) Here is a reasonable ASROCK Z68 for $100:
I happen to like smaller cases and motherboards, here is a Gigabyte m-atx for $95:

4) For a value case, you can hardly do better than a Antec 300 for $35 shipped:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) The hyper212 is not that deep, You should have no problem with the ram. I used the same ram, and the heat spreaders are really not that tall. Certainly not a problem with the case.

5) I have used ASUS and Samsung drives. Both work well. I think the Samsung is a bit quieter. Take your pick.
m
l
November 25, 2011 8:00:47 PM

Picked up the black and orange, i do love that case!!! So i am down to processor, motherboard, optical drive and OS that i still need. What are you doing for your processor and OS? Doesnt it close your thread when you choose best answer? I would still like some more input
m
l
November 26, 2011 1:00:49 PM

Sailor Moon said:
Yeah they're both pretty sexy. I'm getting the Black and Orange because it'll match my black monitor :love: . Yeah, you definitely want to order soon because they're $20 cheaper during these sales if I'm not mistaken. The $20 could be put towards the Steam sales. :kaola: 

Don't forget to choose a best answer. ;) 

Hope you enjoy your rig. This is definitely one of the best years in gaming ever. I don't think 2007 will ever be topped...but still, this has been pretty damn sweet!

hey are you ordering any additional fans with your case?
m
l
November 28, 2011 8:49:42 PM

Best answer selected by MrTesseract.
m
l
November 28, 2011 11:24:59 PM

mrtesseract said:
hey are you ordering any additional fans with your case?

I'm going to be buying a CPU fan and then one NZXT FN 200RB fan and one other 140mm fan (NZXT claims that they can only guarantee that the 200RB fans will fit, so I want to test with another fan). The Phantom s an excellent case which already comes with 4 fans included (I think it has a total of 7 slots, but you might have to pay for the extra ones I'm not too sure). Thanks for bringing this up because I almost forgot about it. Installing the additional 140mm, 200mm and 200/230mm fans won't really a problem because they are dirt cheap (max $15 per fan). So for a CPU cooler I'm deciding between:

and

m
l
December 3, 2011 1:05:06 AM

Sailor Moon said:
I'm going to be buying a CPU fan and then one NZXT FN 200RB fan and one other 140mm fan (NZXT claims that they can only guarantee that the 200RB fans will fit, so I want to test with another fan). The Phantom s an excellent case which already comes with 4 fans included (I think it has a total of 7 slots, but you might have to pay for the extra ones I'm not too sure). Thanks for bringing this up because I almost forgot about it. Installing the additional 140mm, 200mm and 200/230mm fans won't really a problem because they are dirt cheap (max $15 per fan). So for a CPU cooler I'm deciding between:

and

yeah i would like to get the 140mm front fan and the 200mm top fan. I guess the side 200mm fan can get in the way of the cpu cooler so i probably wont mess with that one. I heard that that front 140mm fan does not really intake much air. I may just see what temps are like to start with and then add those fans in a month or so. So here is the gear i have ended up buying:

i5-2500k
ASROCK extreme 3 z68
nxzt phantom in new egg exclusive black and orange (got it already and this case is a BEAST)
intel 320 series 80gb ssd (small but enough to get me started)
windows 7 oem
cooler master 212+ cpu cooler
antec neo 620watt power supply
g.skill ripjaw x series 16 gb ram (4x4gb)

I plan to get everything running and then set out on a quest to find the best deal i can on a great video card. I dont know what is better for now the integrated graphics or a asus 5450 card i have right now.
m
l
!