Nvidia 570 video card, driver stops responding

mike1123

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
I built a new computer about 2 months ago. The video card I bought was a Gigabyte gtx 570 rev. 2.0 with the windforce x3 cooler and a factory overclock to 780 mhz on the core. since then I have been messing around with the core clock in msi afterburner 2.0, i found that my display driver would crash after a while if my core clock was anything over 800 mhz. (I haven't touched the memory clock, or the voltage). I figure that means that its unstable, although I have never once seen an artifact, my game just black screens and then a message pops up saying my display driver stopped responding. the games i used to test it were crysis 2 on extreme with high res texture pack and Dx11 on, and total war: shogun 2 on high settings. these games push the card as far as it can go. i thought this was all well and good and i have had the core clock at 800 mhz for about 2 weeks without any problems, but earlier today I was playing minecraft with some friends and my display driver stops responding again. which puzzles me because in minecraft my gpu usage is like 5-15%.
I have tried reinstalling the latest nvidia driver and it doesn't change anything. my gpu stays at around 63 degrees celcius in most games i have, and around 71 when it's really pushed (crysis 2 and shogun 2). my temp was around 52 when it crashed in minecraft. my old video card (gts 450) would show artifact's long before my display driver would crash, which is strange because i have never once seen a single artifact with my 570 (and i have tinkered with it quite a bit). any idea why this may be happening? any help or advice is much appreciated.

system specs:
coolermaster haf x case,
coolermaster silent pro gold certified 800w psu,
gigabyte z68x-ud4-b3 motherboard,
intel i5 2500k cpu (overclocked to 4.2)
noctua d14 cpu cooler,
kingston hyper x 1600 mhz ram (2x4 gigs, 8 gigs total)
gigabyte gtx 570 video card (single card set up)
asus xonar dg 5.1 sound card,
bigfoot Killer Xeno Pro network card

L4Z3R37H

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
I dont know how much this applies to you, but I had this problem for months. After pulling my hair out by the handfulls, I discovered it was the display driver causing problems with my RAM. I have an ASUS P5E3-PRO Mobo, which at default bios settings would use the "X.M.P" (Xtreme Memory Profile) which was based off my ram's 1600 MHz setting at 9-9-9-24 timing, which gave me an overall 2:1 ratio at 1.65V with command rate at 1T. I NEVER EVER had an issue with my NVIDIA 275.33 Drivers EVER with these settings. As soon as i upgraded to ANY driver thereafter, the "display driver has stopped responding" error accured whenever it damn well felt like it, with no rhyme or reason.
So test after test later, I underclocked my ram to 1000 MHz, with timings at 6-9-9-24 with an overall ratio 4:5 at 1.65V and Command rate 2T. I have not the slightest clue why this was the culprit, but as soon as i tweaked my RAM, I've never had a problem since. I hope this helps.

System specs:
Asus P5E3-PRO Mobo
Q6600 quad core overclocked to 3.2MHZ (1600 MHz FSB, X8 multiplier.)
Scythe Mugen gen 2 CPU Cooler <--best alternative to water cooling
EVGA GTX 460 1gig (overclocked 900/1800/1900)
Paired 4 Gigs Dual Channel Corsair XMS3 1600 MHz RAM
Cooler master 750 Watt PSU
4 year old whirring junker 120 gig HDD (she's still going!)

mike1123

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
thats weird how it was the memory for you, if it keeps up i will try that. i messed with the memory little but i didnt reduce the frequency. right now i'm running the beta driver 285.38 and it seems to have fixed my problem, i was using the 280.26 that was giving me the driver crashes. i can overclock to 825 now before i get the driver crashing.

L4Z3R37H

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

That's great your problem solved with the beta drivers. I have to use them too, when im playing BF3 Beta. I have one more question though. when installing the Drivers, do you completely uninstall old drivers through device manager or programs and features? do you also use driver sweeper in conjunction with the uninstall process? the reason I ask is because My case was due to "windows Kernel mode driver stopped responding and has recovered" while others are "nvlddmkm stopped responding and recovered". I believe they are two different animals but are both diagnosed as "stopped responding" and should be treated differently.

mike1123

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
i installed 285.38 for the battlefield 3 beta as well :), awesome game. but i did do a clean install with the new drivers, but i didn't use driver sweeper, i just uninstalled it through windows. and i don't remember seeing those messages, i think mine just said "the display drivers have stopped responding and have recovered."

suzukigsxr555437

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

I have a P5E3-PRO build, I was wondering what your ram part # is, thanks.